Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pumpkin-Spice Bars 4 christmas or thxgiving

Thumbs up

And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, Lying in a manger.
    - St. Luke ii.

Potato Dinner Rolls Recipe

Makes 12 rolls

Ingredients
    •2¼ teaspoons (1 package) active dry yeast
    •1 tablespoon sugar
    •6 tablespoons lukewarm water
    •1 egg
    •⅔ cup milk, at room temperature
    •½ cup warm mashed potatoes
    •3½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
    •1 tablespoon salt
    •⅓ cup rendered bacon fat, melted and cooled to room temperature
    Directions

In a small bowl, combine the yeast and sugar with the water and let sit for 15 minutes, until frothy.

Using a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, knead together the egg, milk, mashed potatoes, and the yeast mixture on low speed. Add the flour and salt and knead for 4 minutes. Add the bacon fat by the spoonful and mix until the dough is homogenous. You want to have a smooth dough consistency. It should taste like raw mashed-potato bread dough—in other words, not very good.

Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl and set it in a warm place. Let the dough rise for an hour, or until doubled in size. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface, punch it down, and knead it for a minute. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces (2½ to 2¾ ounces each). Roll each piece between the palm of your hand and the floured work surface, pressing down gently. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and oil the sides. Place the dough balls, seam-side down, on the baking sheet ¼ inch apart, so when they rise they attach to one another. Let rise for 45 minutes in a warm place, or until doubled in size. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°F.

Bake the rolls for 20 to 25 minutes, or until very lightly browned. They should not turn golden brown, but instead look like the cheap grocery-store doughy rolls that your grandma serves. Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack for 15 minutes before tearing apart and serving.

Reprinted with permission from The Art of Living According to Joe Beef by Fredéric Morin, David McMillan & Meredith Erickson, copyright © 2011. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/food/Potato-Din...#ixzz1eWCSZGZQ
    And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, Lying in a manger.
    - St. Luke ii.

Smile

Mmmmm....sounds YUMMY!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by DesignerLynn View Post
    Mmmmm....sounds YUMMY!
    it really does taste good & I just love pumpkin
    - St. Luke ii.

the smell of fresh baked cookies on christmas eve.
    santa will be having these when he comes to my house this year
    i havent tried these yet .

Cranberry-Almond Cookie Crisps

1 pouch Betty Crocker® sugar cookie mix

1 tablespoon Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    1 egg 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted almonds*
    1/2 cup chopped sweetened dried cranberries
    1 tablespoon sugar

Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, stir together cookie mix, flour, butter, almond extract and egg until soft dough forms. Stir in almonds and cranberries.
    On lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut dough with 2-inch round cookie cutter. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookies sheets. > Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Sprinkle with sugar. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks. Cool completey, about 15 minutes. Store loosely covered at room temperature.
    Last edited by mina553; 12-03-2011 at 07:28 AM.
    - St. Luke ii.

Maybe I'll try this. I love cranberries and almonds!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    Maybe I'll try this. I love cranberries and almonds!
    i thought the combination would be a good one for the season,
    i like making the cookies with my grand daughter her mother & i did it every christmas eve b4
    PJ time .
    - St. Luke ii.

:gingerbread: special santa cookies

c16e7a03-d83c-409f-802d-785b572f9363.jpg

Jolly Santa Cookies
    1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened

1cup granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
    1 egg 2 tablespoons milk
    2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt 1 cup plus
    2 tablespoons Betty Crocker® Rich & Creamy vanilla ready-to-spread frosting
    3 tablespoons red sugar
    18 miniature marshmallows
    36 currants or semisweet chocolate chips
    18 red cinnamon candies
    3/4 cup shredded coconut

Heat oven to 400°F. Beat butter, granulated sugar and lemon peel in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in egg and milk. Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
    Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 3 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Press bottom of drinking glass on each until about 1/4 inch and 3 inches in diameter. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.

3 Spread frosting on cookie (frost and decorate each cookie before starting another). Sprinkle red sugar over top third of cookie for hat. Press on miniature marshmallow for tassel. Press 2 currants for eyes and 1 cinnamon candy for nose into center third of cookie. Sprinkle coconut over bottom third for beard
    - St. Luke ii.