Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meet our special house guest - recollections in the making ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas_mama View Post
    I've heard of this elf on the shelf... He's pretty expensive though isn't he? I was intending on setting the elf up overnight so he'll be found doing / having done different things like riding my husband's model trains, baking cookies, setting up the Christmas tree, making snowflakes etc
    HAHA! That's a great idea! How much fun would that be, every morning!
    (Be sure to take pictures & share!)
    "Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    Mike, I have several elves similar to his one. But I've only used them as decorations. My Mom had one when I was little - back in the 1960's, but he was also a decoration only!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas_mama View Post
    I've heard of this elf on the shelf... He's pretty expensive though isn't he? I was intending on setting the elf up overnight so he'll be found doing / having done different things like riding my husband's model trains, baking cookies, setting up the Christmas tree, making snowflakes etc
    Yeah...that's the idea. I put him in a different place every night. The idea is that he goes back and reports to Santa, then returns to the house, and it's up to the children to find where he landed. Not expensive. It comes with a book that tells his story, and you can go online and register your elf. It's pretty cool. Then, "Santa" will send us emails every so often. Sounds like you are doing the same thing essentially.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

so cute I saw that elf in Marks and Spencer shop along with other decorations, they're so beautiful but very expensive.
    When it seems the magic slipped away...
    We find it all again on Christmas Day

*Seeing isn't believing.Believing is seeing.*

That's so cute Christmas_mama

Merry Snowy Christmas
    Love & Peace to the World

Ah, the Elf on the shelf, lol. Last year, almost to the day, I told a story about "Emanual" -- my Girlfriend's little Brother's Elf. I'll retell it:

==========
    I am not really sure which thread this post should reside but "Decorations" seemed like an appropriate topic.

Not to bore everyone with the details, my girlfriends sister is getting Married at the end of the month and her their little brother, Tommy, was in need of a new suit to wear. Tommy looks up to me and my girlfriends mother asked me if I would take him to look for one last night. So we both set out into the night on a quest for a little man suit.

Anyways, I used most of the time driving to fill his little 6 year old brain with propaganda about the New York Jets (the American football team) as he comes from a strictly New York Giants football family (Cross town rivals-- my girlfriend included )

While we are driving to the store I start asking him what he wants from Santa this year and he runs a couple things off that I have saved to memory. But then goes on to tell me that he doesn't know if Santa is going to be coming or not? And "Emanual" is always watching him.

Instantly, given this day and age, I fear this is something not so innocent (I need to stop watching those predator shows on MSNBC!!) and think he is talking about Emanuel their landscaper whom I recommended for the job.

So I asked, "The guy that takes care of mommy's flowers?" and he says, 'No the elf that is in the living room" At this point I am just full on confused. It turns out that "Emanuel" is what is called "The Elf on the Shelf" -- a toy or decoration for children -- who is something like a Spy for Santa.

He comes with a story and the kids name him (apparently after the Landscaper) then at night he returns to the north pole to report on the child or children's activities to Santa. Each morning during the Christmas season the Elf is 'miraculously' at another part of the house checking up the children to see if they are naughty or nice.

Tommy is down right frightened of him! Looking at it, this doll does have a stranger expression which seems kinda creepy and beings that he travels all around the house a night may be something of little kids nightmares.

Long story short, I told Tommy that he has nothing to be afraid of and "Emanual" used to come to my house when I was a kid too. Then I said I will talk to Santa tonight and tell him that "Emanuel" should be more friendly.

Coincidentally, on the way home I bought a butterfinger candy bar that "Emanual" will 'bring' back from the north pole tomorrow morning as a show of good faith.

==========

Thankfully he is not frightened of the elf anymore.
    "I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys." ~Charles Dickens

Cute story Fezziwig
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Smile

Absolutely Adorable
    www.carolinapanthercoalition.com

mizanci1 Guest
    Congratulations on a very nice