Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reflector or Double Indent Ornaments

the glass ones I have gotten at Michael's the past few years or so are indented. Indented ones are best if you can manage to get a light on the tree to somehow be right in front of the indented part while still being able to have the ornament hanging straight.

Quote Originally Posted by ChantelleJoy View Post
    Oh, thanks for this info - I will keep that in mind if I want to buy some for this year! Helpful!
    You're very welcome

Reflectors ornaments (ornaments with geometric concave indentations as shown) during Victorian times were often called witches eyes and were placed on the Christmas tree to fend off any evil spirits.....Read more ...

Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Christmas View Post
    You're very welcome

Reflectors ornaments (ornaments with geometric concave indentations as shown) during Victorian times were often called witches eyes and were placed on the Christmas tree to fend off any evil spirits.....Read more ...
    Well, a glass ornament has no power to fend off anything. It can reflect the light, however.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

Calypso, this is a very interesting article. thanks for posting the link.

Quote Originally Posted by steph535 View Post
    Calypso, this is a very interesting article. thanks for posting the link.
    You're very welcome ... it is an interesting read

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    I remember the first time I ever saw them. I was in second grade and kids were asked to bring ornaments in to decorate the class tree. Back then all I had pretty much ever seen were the standard round balls. I remember asking my mom if we could get some. We never did. I don't know if she never bothered or if they simply weren't available. In the 1970's there wasn't the large Christmas selection there is today.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyElfDC View Post
    I remember the first time I ever saw them. I was in second grade and kids were asked to bring ornaments in to decorate the class tree. Back then all I had pretty much ever seen were the standard round balls. I remember asking my mom if we could get some. We never did. I don't know if she never bothered or if they simply weren't available. In the 1970's there wasn't the large Christmas selection there is today.
    I remember my mother buying Shiny Brite double indents in 1965. I think when we had moved previously that year, she had not brought her ornaments with her.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

We have two boxes of them. One box is from 1955 that my mother was given as a moving out present from her parents when she got her own place in 1977. They'd bought them the same year she was born so they wanted her to have them. We have another set from I think 1998. Both boxes of these ornaments now make a proud appearance on the small fake tree I have in my room for Christmas.

"It isn't the holly, it isn't the snow. It isn't the tree, not the firelight's glow. It's the warmth that comes to the hearts of men then the Christmas spirit returns again." - Unknown