Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Many Lights?

:light: How Many Lights?

How Many Lights Do I Need?
    Typically, count on 100 lights per vertical foot of tree. For example: for a 7 foot tree, you will need at least of 700 lights. I prefer 150 per foot (or 1050 lights for a 7 foot tree) for a more "twinkly" look.

Of course, if your tree is fuller than average you will also need more lights than on a slender tree.
    http://pickyourownchristmastree.org/decoratingtips.php

Oops! I forgot to tell you that our prelit tabletop tree came on Monday(yesterday) and I thought there were too few lights. So I'm going to double the amount of clear lights.

For me 150-200 lights per foot of tree is just about right .....so for a 7 1/2 foot tree ... between 1050 to 1500 is just perfect..... and I luv clear twinkling lights

I just read yesterday in a Christmas magazine that the desired light count for a 7" tree is 50 to 75 per foot and the ornament count should be about 200. I guess they wouldn't appreciate my tree with close to 1000 ornaments and many lights!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

I am definitely on the mindset that the more lights the better. I like to use clear lights and one other color...for example my Santa tree is clear and red, and my snowman tree is clear and blue...it gives the brightness and glow of the clear, but the fun and added punch of color.

I agree when it comes to lights the more the merrier

Quote Originally Posted by Crazymike1965 View Post
    I agree when it comes to lights the more the merrier
    Mike, do you double the recommended amount or do you use even more?

I know this is going to sound really insane but I always gone with 350-400 per foot. I am going with 500 lights per foot this year as I actually had space last year on the new tree and ran out of lights.
    Last edited by Crazymike1965; 10-26-2011 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazymike1965 View Post
    I know this is going to sound really insane but I always gone with 350-400 per foot. I am going with 500 lights per foot this year as I actually had space last year on the new tree and ran out of lights.
    Crazy, Mike! Don't be surprised if you find this under your tree in December:

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    I don't even know how many lights I end up using. I start with 4 strings of C-7 lights. Then I add several strings of minis, and follow it up with 3-4 strings of micro LEDs. The minis are steady-on, but the others twinkle and the big ones flash.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!