Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Traditional Tree

Traditional Tree

Would each person describe a traditional tree as you see it your mind's eye?

Thanks! I can hardly wait to see what you say.

Vividly green, tall, but imperfect. But, it is the smell that evokes it -- the naturalistic smell (rather than the artificial one).

Natural colours, red, green and gold. Decorated with pine cones and wooden ornaments, red green and gold baubles. The same colour theme for the tinsel. A few strings of beads strung across the branches and multicoloured lights :-) Candy canes and little chocolates wrapped in red, green and gold foils. Red and green christmas crackers hidden in the branches. Presents underneath the tree and an ANGEL on top.

The first image that comes to my mind is of a tall, wide, real tree. But it doesn't have to be big to be traditional. The tree that my mum had, when I was growing up, was a fake tree, rather the same shape as the tree that I have now:

But decorated in the same way that I described above and I'd say that it was traditional - but maybe that's just because it was a tradition of sorts for my family when growing up?

These trees look traditional to me:

but the first one looks a little over-done, the second one could do with some tinsel and multicoloured lights, and they should definately both have angels on top

Full, tall, green trees,- real versa artificial. No color themes- any and all colors, but with lots of red. Garland and/or beads, angel or star topper.
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    The big thing for me is the size of the tree. I know in Europe there are many countries that typically use tabletop size trees. I just LOVE a full-size, floor to ceiling tree that becomes the unrivaled focal point of the living room. I prefer long needles to short needles. I love a variety of lights (both size and color). The pictures above are very beautiful, classic trees, and I love them. Ours is never quite that fancy though. Also, I must have a star on top that lights up.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Well, I'm no spring chicken. My idea of old-fashioned or traditional trees comes from pictures in storybooks:

I really thought there would be a hodpodge of ornaments, but the size of the tree would vary.

I look forward to more comments.

I guess my description is what I refer to as MY "traditional", since it's how my tree has always been since I was a kid. However, if by traditional, you simply mean "old", then I picture a tree with candles on it instead of lights, since that is how they "originally" were. One thing I can say is that I LOVE images of Christmas like you posted, that look like they were from MANY years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    The big thing for me is the size of the tree. I know in Europe there are many countries that typically use tabletop size trees. I just LOVE a full-size, floor to ceiling tree that becomes the unrivaled focal point of the living room. I prefer long needles to short needles. I love a variety of lights (both size and color). The pictures above are very beautiful, classic trees, and I love them. Ours is never quite that fancy though. Also, I must have a star on top that lights up.
    I've grown quite fond of a star at the top, but an angel comes in second.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    I guess my description is what I refer to as MY "traditional", since it's how my tree has always been since I was a kid. However, if by traditional, you simply mean "old", then I picture a tree with candles on it instead of lights, since that is how they "originally" were. One thing I can say is that I LOVE images of Christmas like you posted, that look like they were from MANY years ago!
    This is why I like this thread. We were all born in different years.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow World View Post
    This is why I like this thread. We were all born in different years.
    There is a store near me that has TONS of Christmas decor. They have a lot of items that have images that appear to be from the 1800's and early 1900's. I am drawn to it because it taps into my deep sense of nostalgia that I absolutely thrive on during the holiday season!!