Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you have multiple colors on your tree?

Do you have multiple colors on your tree?

Does anyone decorate the 1960s way with mulptiple colors on your tree?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-3-VINTAG...94358624156836

Some people chose a color scheme with somewhat matching ornaments. My mother just used lots of colors avoiding only those she detested. Our tree had a lot of striped Shiny Brites and some solid color Shiny Brites with mica stencils.

So if you decorate with a lot of colors or maybe three or four colors, what colors do you choose?

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

The tree of my childhood, was a cornucopia of colours - there was no ryme or reason to the decor, it was every hand-made, 2nd run, or shiny new decoration my mom could use. Multicoloured blinking lights, and tinsel and garlands in every colour.

Sometime in my teens my mom decided to buy all new decorations, and decorate her tree in only red/gold.

When I got my own tree for the first time (in 2005) I bought a set of matching decorations, red, silver and white - and have been adding to that every year since.

However, last year, my roomate and I decided to have two trees. One real, for the living room, and I could set up my artificial tree (the red/white/silver one) in my bedroom. And we both agreed that it should be a Classic multi-coloured tree - so we bought pink, blue, green, purple, all sorts of ornaments and multicoloured lights, and went to down. It was great, and I loved it for being so sentimental.

I'll probably do the same thing this year.

"Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!

Quote Originally Posted by ChantelleJoy View Post
    The tree of my childhood, was a cornucopia of colours - there was no ryme or reason to the decor, it was every hand-made, 2nd run, or shiny new decoration my mom could use. Multicoloured blinking lights, and tinsel and garlands in every colour.

Sometime in my teens my mom decided to buy all new decorations, and decorate her tree in only red/gold.

When I got my own tree for the first time (in 2005) I bought a set of matching decorations, red, silver and white - and have been adding to that every year since.

However, last year, my roomate and I decided to have two trees. One real, for the living room, and I could set up my artificial tree (the red/white/silver one) in my bedroom. And we both agreed that it should be a Classic multi-coloured tree - so we bought pink, blue, green, purple, all sorts of ornaments and multicoloured lights, and went to down. It was great, and I loved it for being so sentimental.

I'll probably do the same thing this year.

I'm glad you responded to this thread. I get so nostalgic sometimes for the old ornaments and crazy colors(my mother avoided purple though). But when I see trees with just two or three colors or all sparkly like tinkerbell's and Crazymike's, I think they're beautiful, too. So I haven't decided what I'll do this year. Our new 40" tree should arrive next week.

At one point, a majority of our tree were the ornaments that came in boxed sets where they were hand blown glass ornaments of different colors and patterns and a few random pieces that my grand mother had sent for my brother and I ever year and a family ornament for every year. Now that there are 23 family ornaments, plus 22 ornaments for my brother, plus 20 ornaments for myself, and this year were adding three more, we've pushed the old matching sets out. I have a small 3ft fake tree that I set up in my room and cover in the multicolored lights and tinsel and all of our old ornaments. It makes me nostalgic of when I was little.

"It isn't the holly, it isn't the snow. It isn't the tree, not the firelight's glow. It's the warmth that comes to the hearts of men then the Christmas spirit returns again." - Unknown

Most of my ornaments are matching colours (silver, white, clear) but I use multicoloured lights and a littly bit of red tinsel to bring some colour into it :-)

As a child, my mum's tree was always multicoloured with ornaments we made at school, some similar to those in the link posted in the original post, and a general mismatch of multicoloured lights, tinsel and whichever ornaments she had acquired over the years. I loved it and decorating it was always my favorite part of the Christmas season Now, though I have my own tree and I like my co-ordinated snowy icey colour scheme. Still, I can't resist the little splash of colour and while I do sometimes feel myself being pulled toward buying some clear / white lights for the tree, I always end up falling in love with my coloured ones again and wanting them to stay instead. I just can't resist a little bit of colour on my Christmas tree

Wow - my childhood tree was a bit of everything and always real. Multicolor, large bulb lights with predominately glass ball ornaments in all colors, and lots of tinsel - no garland!

Today my tree is artificial, with clear lights and hardly any glass ball ornaments (except for a few antiques). My ornaments are mostly characters - dolls, toys, teddies, special shapes, commemoratives, etc. I also use white garland, silver beads and a white angel topper. I OVERLOAD my tree with ornaments of every color and style. The clear lights, white garland and silver beads illuminate the ornaments. I love my tree!

Was thinking about putting up a second tree with just dolls this year!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    Was thinking about putting up a second tree with just dolls this year!

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    I prefer multi-colors, lots of lights, and a wide variety of ornaments that represent many different things from the past. To be honest...trees that appear too "perfect" or monochromatic make me think of grandmas or trees that you see in businesses. In my opinion, they lack a certain "personality" that I like to associate with the season. I realize many of you have trees like that, and I appreciate their beauty. It's just not my style.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

i usually dont. Growing up my mom had our tree covered with multicoloured lights and decorations. Now she doesnt really do that either but I think this year I might branch about a bit from the red and white I only do and add some other colours. Or I could buy another tree and decorate that one with more colour...just an excuse to buy another tree

My sister and I decorated our mother's tree when we were teenagers. I always wanted to put this blue ornament on myself

and I liked the double-indent ornaments; my sister could do half of those and I'd do the other half.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."