Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Eve traditions

Christmas Eve traditions

Do you all have any christmas eve traditions?? Sorry if this post has already been made by someone else

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Chances are very good that EVERYTHING you think of has already been posted. However, I think you'll find that most people here don't mind re-telling the things that make Christmas special for all of us.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    We are starting a new tradition this year of having a wonderfully prepared stuffed beef tenderloin for dinner. Early in the day, if weather permits, we go sledding down a nearby hill. We also go to church in the evening. Lastly, before bed, the boys get to pick a movie to watch, and open ONE present.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Sounds AMAZING!! We're not a church going family, but me personally do believe it for the reason it is meant to be for. We love meeting up with our families, spending time together and treating each other!!!

Since we was kids, Christmas Eve has usually consisted of a mini party(just the five of us who were living here at the time, mum, dad, bro and sister and myself.) This year's there's just my mum, myself and our foster twins who will then be 9 months old.

I will be making sure we still have a proper Christmas, even though it's just us two and the twins won't even understand.

Our Christmas Eve tradition includes watching christmas movies, snacking and getting new pajamas!!

Yes we also do the "open one gift" thing (even though my kids are 17 and 26). The one thing is always new pajamas! We have my husband's family over for good times and a big buffet dinner. We usually go to 4pm mass prior to dinner. I spend the entire day cooking, listing to Christmas music, and handling any last minute preps!
    Last edited by ornamentmaven; 08-29-2011 at 01:44 AM.
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

The year before last we opened one present, and last year, we started to open one present, then it was 2,3 and we ended up opening all our presents on christmas eve, well it was after 12am, and it worked out well since we had a 3 year old to focus on the next day

Quote Originally Posted by christmasloves View Post
    The year before last we opened one present, and last year, we started to open one present, then it was 2,3 and we ended up opening all our presents on christmas eve, well it was after 12am, and it worked out well since we had a 3 year old to focus on the next day
    To keep that situation in check, the pj's are the only gifts placed under the tree at this point! We also put out gifts for the extended family that we wont see the next day!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Our traditions have changed a bit over the years with my brother and I growing up. Christmas eve used to be filled with anticipation because it was when the last of the presents went under the tree. Then we had to sit through dinner and not rush through it or anything. There's never been any tradition as to what we ate. It's usually a clean-out-the-fridge night so we have room for stuff on Christmas. After dinner, we got to watch a Christmas movie of our choice then we moved furniture. This was always the part that had my friends looking at me weird because, who moves furniture around on Christmas Eve? Well my family always video taped the opening on the presents and we would make copies and send them to all of our family members so they could see my brother and I opening presents on Christmas. We pushed the dining room table and chairs against the farthest wall from our living room, pushed the large couch against that table and the coffee table went up in front of the couch. Then we got a roll of duct tape and my dad would position the camera so the whole living room was in view, and have us tape off the boundaries of the area we could be in and still be on camera. Then we picked our spots and put a piece of duct tape down for that. This was all on an old 70's shag carpet, in the 90's early 00's mind you. Then we could get one present to open. Most kids would have gone for the biggest one but we both knew that the small squishy one was our new pajamas from Nana (our dad's mom). Everything is still relatively similar except I'm the only one excited, we don't move furniture and the pajamas come from our mother now.

"It isn't the holly, it isn't the snow. It isn't the tree, not the firelight's glow. It's the warmth that comes to the hearts of men then the Christmas spirit returns again." - Unknown

Christmas Eve our only tradition really is going to 8 o'clock mass, and my mom and I typically sing for it.

Quote Originally Posted by leah View Post
    Christmas Eve our only tradition really is going to 8 o'clock mass, and my mom and I typically sing for it.
    aww thats nice, we also go to church christmas eve ... we go to the childrens mass which is usually around 6:30pm ... its lovely...they do lots of carols and turn all to lights off so all we have is candle light around the altar.... they only to this on christmas eve and christmas day!!

Its one of my favourite parts of christmas
    Steph xx
    So excited for christmas 2012