Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downsizing my decs to a 'Christmas Corner'

Downsizing my decs to a 'Christmas Corner'

Over the years I've slowly downsized my decorations, it's partly because bereavements in the family have left me without the will to decorate, and I'm also becoming a convert to the 'less is more', minimalist kind of lifestyle. To this end, this year I'm going to decorate only half of my living room and concentrate on a 'christmas corner' ussing a live potted tree that can be returned outside after the festivites are over.

Has anyone else tired anything similar, or have you any ideas, suggestios, or examples to show?
    So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle,
    Hail our dear old friend kris kringle,
    Driving his reindeer across the sky.
    Don't stand underneath when they fly by.

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    When it comes to Christmas, I'm definitely going the other way. This year will be my biggest light display yet! Also, my wife has decided to really "do up" the kitchen this year as well! Unfortunately, I have no advice for downsizing. I'm just not willing to give up that magical time of year. I want to be reminded of it at every turn.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

I'm trying to downsize, but I don't think I can overcome my addiction to Christmas decor. I keep having relapses.

I went from this:

to this:

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

We have had many bereavements in the family but that doesn't stop us since my sister and I love Christmas, all the decorating, seeing family and spending time together. Christmas is especially more important with us since we have foster kids and we need to bring Christmas alive for them, we do get depressed for the first few weeks of december then we liven up!!

We have had several deaths in our family during the Christmas season. The most upsetting was my Aunt who was found Christmas morning - under the tree! That was 22 years ago- she was only 45 - and her husband will still not put up a tree.

I get very tired with all the decorating, but I'm just not ready to start minimizing!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Yeah...I guess everyone has their own reasons for however they decorate. Most overriding for me are my two boys. I want them to remember their childhood Christmases as VERY big deals. I want them to think of what an amazing, wonderful time it was for them when they were little. That's the reason for my enthusiasm. Also, I haven't had any family tragedy tied closely to the holiday season, and I pray it stays that way.

Every year we stockpile more and more decorations... and every year we put them ALL up :D
    ~Michael

I already have stuff for my 2012 display that will not be going up THIS year!!

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    We have had several deaths in our family during the Christmas season. The most upsetting was my Aunt who was found Christmas morning - under the tree! That was 22 years ago- she was only 45 - and her husband will still not put up a tree.

I get very tired with all the decorating, but I'm just not ready to start minimizing!
    That's really sad. My sister died at age 45 of cancer. But she died in the spring.

Four years ago, we lost my grandfather the day after my father's birthday and three days before Christmas. Him and I were very close and I was devastated. Part of his wishes was that it didn't affect how I celebrated Christmas and that I would never change who I am. Since then I've added more decorations and I've got his old small fake tree that stays in my room for Christmas and I use some of his old decorations to decorate my room so that way, even though he's not here anymore, I still feel close to him around Christmas.

"It isn't the holly, it isn't the snow. It isn't the tree, not the firelight's glow. It's the warmth that comes to the hearts of men then the Christmas spirit returns again." - Unknown