Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gift for the father who buys it all for himself?

Gift for the father who buys it all for himself?

My family has the same problem every year when it comes down to buying stuff for my father. His birthday is the 21st and Christmas is just 4 days later. He's got plenty of hobbies that we could buy stuff for, except either the next best part for it is over $100 or he'll need it and therefore go out and buy it. Anyone have suggestions for what to get the man who will buy himself stuff up until the day before his birthday?

If it helps, he's into computers a lot, he's going to be 62 this year, still works in a business casual type environment.

"It isn't the holly, it isn't the snow. It isn't the tree, not the firelight's glow. It's the warmth that comes to the hearts of men then the Christmas spirit returns again." - Unknown

We have that problem also. I suggest a gift certificate to Office Max or his favorite computer store, or a subscription to a favorite magazine, or something for the home office. Or some of his favorite type snacks. But, hopefully, someone will post some ideas for both of us.

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    gift cards. just go with it.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

I'd like to avoid gift cards. Other than a Starbucks one that I give him every year, I won't give them out because at least when I get one, it feels like the person either forgot until last minute and picked one up, or they didn't care to find out about what I wanted.

"It isn't the holly, it isn't the snow. It isn't the tree, not the firelight's glow. It's the warmth that comes to the hearts of men then the Christmas spirit returns again." - Unknown

I love gift cards. Usually the gifts I get are not my style and I feel guilty exchanging them. Gift cards are great because it's like two gifts in one... shopping (which I love)...for free!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

maybe framed family portrait
    When it seems the magic slipped away...
    We find it all again on Christmas Day

*Seeing isn't believing.Believing is seeing.*

Quote Originally Posted by cujiine View Post
    I'd like to avoid gift cards. Other than a Starbucks one that I give him every year, I won't give them out because at least when I get one, it feels like the person either forgot until last minute and picked one up, or they didn't care to find out about what I wanted.
    In that case, I'd ask him for a list of things he'd like. If he doesn't know, he gets a gift card!

badtzmaru Guest

:gift: Not your most common gift but my Uncle loved it!....

My uncle is the same way, he usually goes out and buy himself anything he needs so he's always a hard one to shop for. He loves meaningful and funny quotes so I ended up getting him a message engraved baseball bat from GiveaBat.com. I sent the bat directly to his office and he loved it, he displays it on his desk at work now.

This is a good option when you don't know what to give but want to give something more personal than gift cards.

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    I think I've mentioned this in other posts, but speaking as a father, my children could give me just about ANYTHING in the world, and I would love it just the same. You never have to overthink a gift for a parent that you love, and who loves you more than anything.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

shikha Guest
    you would gifted him a beautiful painting and I know one site who turn the photo into a beautiful painting