Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: "A Christmas Carol"

"A Christmas Carol"

There are so many versions of "A Christmas Carol", it is difficult to pick a favorite.

I've always loved George C. Scott's version from 1984. It is imperative we watch it every year (probably twice). Scott was fabulous as Scrooge. The Ghost of Christmas Present was amazingly powerful. And all in all, I would have to say Frank Finlay's portrayal of Bob Cratchit is the one all the rest should now be measured by.

But lately it seems the 1951 version with Alastair Sim is taking over the 1984 version as far as 'best' goes, in my opinion. There is just something about the '51 version that gives it a sense of realism that makes it hard to beat. Last year I ordered the new DVD package of the '51 version, and it is magnificent. Both the black and white and color versions are provided. Strangely, it is the BW version I enjoy most. The 1935 Hick's version is added as a bonus. This is a highly-recommended DVD set for any fan of "A Christmas Carol".

And, of course, "The Muppet's Christmas Carol" is a 'must see' at our house every holiday season. I'm sure even Charles Dickens would approve of puppets doing such a fine job with his timeless tale.

Does anyone have a favorite version of "A Christmas Carol"?

A CHristmas Carol

I like the movie but not sure what version is on tv each year. I want to order a copy of it. I like tha older versions of most of the classics.

I love A Muppet Christmas Carol and even Mickey's Christmas Carol. It's been so long since I've seen either of the non-Disney ones that I can't remember which one I prefer. I do remember watching the 1951 version in school after we read A Christmas Carol.
    PumpkinJack81
    Bob, Forum Moderator
    AllThingsChristmas.com

Several years ago I got my husband "A Christmas Carol" dvd, the Alistair Sim version and we love it.
    I just watched the colorized version yesterday and I'm so glad I bought this version.

:tree:

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinJack81 View Post
    I love A Muppet Christmas Carol and even Mickey's Christmas Carol. It's been so long since I've seen either of the non-Disney ones that I can't remember which one I prefer. I do remember watching the 1951 version in school after we read A Christmas Carol.
    I LOVE Mickeys Christmas Carol!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by i luv christmas best View Post
    I LOVE Mickeys Christmas Carol!!!!

It's a great one! :D

PumpkinJack81
    Bob, Forum Moderator
    AllThingsChristmas.com

I want to see Barbie in A CHristmas Carol! It looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by noelglori View Post
    Several years ago I got my husband "A Christmas Carol" dvd, the Alistair Sim version and we love it.
    I just watched the colorized version yesterday and I'm so glad I bought this version.
    I think I have the black and white version, but I gave my VHS away and this is on DVD. We haven't watched it yet. We also have the George C. Scott version from 1984.
    Last edited by Merry Christmas Darling; 11-11-2008 at 01:23 AM.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    I've never seen it, but several people have told me they love Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol. I have it on my wish list at Amazon, (where it also got raves), but I'm still on the fence about buying it. When I was younger, I remembered loving The Ritch Little version. He played all the parts and it was a comedy. WC Feilds was on of the ghosts, and Edith Bunker was Mrs. Cratchet. I haven't seen it in years, and I don't know how well it holds up. It's also on my Amazon wish list, but it seemed a bit pricey. I'm hoping the price comes down.

Oh, yeah...I forgot that I bought Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol a short time ago. I haven't watched it yet. I may have seen it when it first came out, but I don't remember everything I watched back then.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."