Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Childhood Memories

Lightbulb Childhood Memories

What are some of your favorite childhood Christmas memories? What childhood memories will you never forget?

I will always remember Christmas morning growing up... I am the oldest of three and every year on Christmas morning we kids would wake up and wake up my parents so we could go see our gifts from Santa. My dad would go downstairs first with his video camera and then we would go down youngest to oldest with mom following behind. I can still see us walking down the steps and going over to our gifts from Santa. He would always leave them out on the couch/floor for us and the gifts would be divided into our own sections. We would usually check out our gifts first and then see what goodies were left in our stockings. :D
    PumpkinJack81
    Bob, Forum Moderator
    AllThingsChristmas.com

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinJack81 View Post
    I will always remember Christmas morning growing up... I am the oldest of three and every year on Christmas morning we kids would wake up and wake up my parents so we could go see our gifts from Santa. My dad would go downstairs first with his video camera and then we would go down youngest to oldest with mom following behind. I can still see us walking down the steps and going over to our gifts from Santa. He would always leave them out on the couch/floor for us and the gifts would be divided into our own sections. We would usually check out our gifts first and then see what goodies were left in our stockings. :D
    When I was a child, there was a man who sold Xmas trees just in front of my primary school. About 10 days before Xmas, my parents and I used to buy one. I remember how impatient I was, waiting for this day. And I'll never forget the odor of the tree, while we were walking back home !

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    And I'll never forget the odor of the tree, while we were walking back home !
    I love the smell of a fresh Christmas tree!
    PumpkinJack81
    Bob, Forum Moderator
    AllThingsChristmas.com

I've so many memories. I grew up in the suburbs of NYC. We always decorated outside with lights. I remember going into the city every Christmas Eve and seeing the trees wrapped in lights, ice skating, etc. But back then, NYC was a dark, dangerous place. I'm proud to say that it's safer, brighter and more beautiful now.

Now I'm living in the place I visioned in my dreams.

Childhood memories. boy where to start. I think some of the best of them were from the early 50's when my maternal Grandparents were still living. I loved going to Grandma and Grandpas . We always bundled up and went out in the snow up to our knees to lok for the perfect Christmas Tree. They had over 200 acrea and lots of trees. One year I was insistant on an old Cedar Tree. Grandpa and Grandma cut it down and we dragged it to the house on a big sled. We came in and Grandma fixed a huge pan of cocoa. None of the instant stuff but god old fashioned cocoa made with unpasturized millk. lots of cocoa and marshmallows on top. This old cedar tree all decorated to me was the most beautiful tree I had ever seen. I helped place all the beautiful glass ornaments on the tree after Grandpa had strung on the lights. Bubble lights galor on that old tree. To this day I love bubble lights and was so glad when they made a comback. And then the final touch. Grandpa would lift me up to place the most breautiful angel on the most top branch of the tree. There it stood with me looking on in awe.

Grandma and my mom and I loved a cookie baking day. Even my little sisters were allowed to decoarte a few cookies though they ate more than they decorated.

Christmas Eve would arrive and we always stayed there. Stocking were hung on the mantel and the cookies and milk left for Santa. Though I never could figure out how Santa would find me there he always found my sisters and I. We would be up early on Christmas Morning and would find the gifts piled high under the tree. Oh what fun we had.

One year Grandma always had the whole family for Christmas.The following year we all would trravel 8 miles to Grandmas Sisters home. The meal they both put on. Turkey and all the trimmings, pies and all the goodies anyone could ever want.

After dinner the men always would go to the parlor and watch TV and play cards. All my cousins and I would bundle up and go sleding or out to build a snowman or two. The women would have a fun craft they would do in the kitchen. Them late evening it was Sandwiches and more goodies. No one ever went home hungry.

I lost my Grandpa when I was just 10 and Grandma when I was 16. Boy those first few Christmas after just never seemed the same. My Aunt passed away just a few years ago at the age of 90 but whenever we got together we always shared the memories of all those years ago.

I treasure them and am now trying to make pleasant memories for my Grandkids just like Grandma and Grandpa did all those years ago..

Hi karanmi and welcome to the forums!

Thanks for posting so much already and keeping the threads active. :D I hope you continue to enjoy your time here with us and I look forward to hearing more about your Christmas traditions...

Happy Holidays!
    PumpkinJack81
    AllThingsChristmas Staff
    PumpkinJack81
    Bob, Forum Moderator
    AllThingsChristmas.com

I spent my first 5 Christmases in Germany. I remember being fascinated by the hand-crafted store displays, some animated, some not (but all were fantastic). Also, a very stern St. Nicholas on Dec 5!!! A much more jolly Santa Claus the rest of December.

I remember:

my little brother, the first few seasons he was mobile, walking up to glass balls and popping them in his hand while giggling (never let him near the shiny-brites!!!).

Santas that didn't look like they came fresh out of a dollar-store bag (not to be negative...just noticing).

Making cookies with mom...something I still do.

Decorating the tree and marveling at the finished work lit up in all its glory.

Tinsel!!!...before it was mylar...

Knee-hugger elves

Goin out in the knee-deep snow with grandpa to cut a tree.

(later) My Grandma had a couple of fake trees she used to break out...you never knew if you were getting the green one or the aluminum one...WITH COLORWHEEL! <grin> I liked it either way.

family stories

going to grandma and grandpas...grandpa was a hunter and holiday meals saw venison, wild turkey, squirrel, ham, and real stuffing...all of which I no longer eat. On the non-meat food side, we still eat baked cheese grits, all the normal sides, real cranberry relishes, pies, pies, pies, biscuits in the morning with various spreads, jams, and jellies we helper her process all summer, and more!

Coming back home for our home Christmas.

Anonymous gift-giving to non-family, strangers, buying groceries for people we didn't know, and dropping surprises on all kinds of folks...usually we secreted away, sometimes we got to watch from a distance.
    persimmonpudding.com: dedicated to growing, education, and use of Diospyros virginiana L., the common, or American persimmon...and persimmon pudding is ALWAYS a holiday favorite!!!

Getting the Christmas tree on Christmas eve and waiting patiently while my Dad put it in a bucket filled with stones and hopefully it stood upright, if it didn't my dad would get the hammer, nail and some string and it was attached to the wall to keep it from falling down.

Also, the Christmas my dad got some free decorations and he decked out our living room. I thought it was beautiful as a child but now I know it bordered on being a little "tacky" but I didn't care for in my child mind I thought it was wonderful.

Also the week of Christmas was filled with friends and family coming everynight, we always had company and I love watching the old home movies and seeing those dear people no longer with us.

Quote Originally Posted by noelglori View Post
    Getting the Christmas tree on Christmas eve and waiting patiently while my Dad put it in a bucket filled with stones and hopefully it stood upright, if it didn't my dad would get the hammer, nail and some string and it was attached to the wall to keep it from falling down.

Also, the Christmas my dad got some free decorations and he decked out our living room. I thought it was beautiful as a child but now I know it bordered on being a little "tacky" but I didn't care for in my child mind I thought it was wonderful.

Also the week of Christmas was filled with friends and family coming everynight, we always had company and I love watching the old home movies and seeing those dear people no longer with us.
    Thanks for sharing those memories with us noelglori! :D And welcome to the forums!!!!
    PumpkinJack81
    Bob, Forum Moderator
    AllThingsChristmas.com