Thread: Christmas as an Indian....should I celebrate?

Christmas as an Indian....should I celebrate?

As an Indian brought up in a western society - I have grown up with the idea of Christmas. We have always had a tree in our living room, always have roast turkey with all the trimmings and when I was younger we sometimes went to midnight mass. Yet when I talk to some members of my family they wonder why we follow these traditions - when Christmas is a Christian tradition.

I feel that Christmas - although a tradition that is wholly Christian, has adapted now to become a "family" related event. All of my family come together at Christmas and it is an excuse for us to see eachother. It brings about happiness.... and to be honest - isn't joy and happiness an underlying theme of Christmas? Does religion matter so much now or is it just as important as it always was?

religion is important to some where as for some times others just rejoice in the family traditions relating to the holidays. For me it is a religious holiday as well as a time for togetherness and joy! I would say go ahead and celebrate as you did when you were a child. THere is nothing wrong with having the joy and happiness of being with ones families this time of year. showing presents

well my friend's family is from India and they all celebrate Christmas. Not to the extent as my family, but the do celebrate it. I dare say that if a western family moved to India or the middle-east they'd half-celebrate middle-eastern holidays

i do celebrate Christmas.. i grew up celebrating Christmas every year... n i feel that this is one of the best festivals...

Celebrating Christmas is fun...with frens and family all together... well being an Indian we celebrate many festivals and Christmas is also one of them... presents