Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Too early?

When I was a kid, we always decorated around December 10th - 14th. Because we had a real tree, it couldn't be put up any earlier. Now I put everything up in late November - after Thanksgiving - except for my doll tree and winter shoier curtain - which are up already. I generally take3 everthing donw on January 1st-2nd
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

we always had a real tree, too, OM when I was growing up, and always a balsam, which kept it's needles longer than a spruce. but, I don't think my mother would have put up an artificial tree any earlier, if we had had one. after I moved away and got married, I had real trees, too , and I cannot remember at what point I started using artificial trees or even why or when I started putting a tree up around Thanksgiving, but that's what I do now

it's my daughters birthday today and its Remembrance Day tomorrow, so I don't put anything out till after that and it starts with indoor decor , then sometime in the middle of November or the first snow fall I put out the yard decoration ( although it is snowing now but I won't do it now) then the tree is real so it goes up on Dec 1st!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the snowman View Post
    it's my daughters birthday today and its Remembrance Day tomorrow, so I don't put anything out till after that and it starts with indoor decor , then sometime in the middle of November or the first snow fall I put out the yard decoration ( although it is snowing now but I won't do it now) then the tree is real so it goes up on Dec 1st!
    Being a snowman, I guess you don't mind going out in the cold to do those decorations!

Quote Originally Posted by steph535 View Post
    we always had a real tree, too, OM when I was growing up, and always a balsam, which kept it's needles longer than a spruce. but, I don't think my mother would have put up an artificial tree any earlier, if we had had one. after I moved away and got married, I had real trees, too , and I cannot remember at what point I started using artificial trees or even why or when I started putting a tree up around Thanksgiving, but that's what I do now
    I remember exactly when and why we started using an artificial tree. It was 2001 and my husband was recovering from surgery. He was not allowed to lift anything and we knew we had to get something that I could handle on my own or with help from my daughters who were 7 and 16 at the time. We swore that we would go back to real - but loved that we could put the tree up so much earlier - so that was it for our real trees!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

LOL, yeah the cold doesn't bother me!

my mom was like that, too. she would put up the tree on Christmas Eve and take it down on or just after 'Twelfth Night.' That was when I was very young, but after a while, she'd put it up about a week before Christmas and it would be taken down Jan. 1st.
    Yes, my dad is very much about doing things by the Christian tradition, so it's Advent Sunday until Twelfth Night for him, whereas my grandmother's decorations are usually up 15th-18th December until Twelfth Night as well. The normal time to take down decorations in this country is usually anywhere between the 1st to the 6th January.

Well , just put up my indoor decorations minus the tree... that will be Dec 1st and now I'm drinking some Christmas blend coffee from Starbucks and listening to Floyd Cramer's Christmas album on vinyl...

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    When I was a kid, we always decorated around December 10th - 14th. Because we had a real tree, it couldn't be put up any earlier. Now I put everything up in late November - after Thanksgiving - except for my doll tree and winter shoier curtain - which are up already. I generally take3 everthing donw on January 1st-2nd
    I grew up in Ohio ,that's where I met and married my wife and where our oldest child was born. We used to go to a tree farm and cut our own tree always a Blue or Norway Spruce. Never cared for long needled varieties their branches wont take the weight of heavy ornaments the way the short needled ones will. I was always adamant that you had to have a real tree so we never put it up until mid December. In 83 we moved to Texas and were forced to start buying trees from a nursery and with the advent of the solutions they have to help them suck up water we could now put it up the first of December. Year after year the price of a Blue Spruce trees went up and up until I was paying $100 plus for a nice 9-10 footer. Finally about 10 years ago I had had enough of over priced trees, watering it daily, wrestling with it to put the lights on and then on January 1 dragging it to the front door leaving a trail of pine needles all the way.
    So I became a convert and bought my first artificial tree that was the starting point of what eventually became Papa's Christmas Wonderland 7 trees of various themes and sizes, decorations from the front yard to the back porch and I can have it all up and ready to flip the switch after dinner on Thanksgiving and I leave it all lit up until Epiphany on Jan.6. Theses days I find myself taking my own sweet time about taking it down so I can enjoy it as long as possible.

Soooooooooo Too Early? What the heck is that
    Papa_Christmas

'I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future!' Scrooge repeated, as he scrambled out of bed. 'The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. Oh, Jacob Marley! Heaven, and the Christmas Time be praised for this! I say it on my knees, old Jacob, on my knees!' (Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol)

Its never too early LOL
    I start the day after Thanksgiving

Merry Christmas To All And To All A Good Night