Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Too early?

We normally go to a Christmas tree farm around the first or second weekend of December to get a real tree. This year I would like to go the weekend after Thanksgiving. Our trees tend to last a really long time as long as we keep them watered. Our ceiling in our new house (this is our third Christmas) is 16 feet tall so we aim for 12-14 foot trees. Just purchasing and getting it up is an ordeal so we move in stages. The tree goes up on day one then hubby and I string the lights and the kids help decorate while we watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. We've hosted Thanksgiving here the last few years so no Christmas decorations went up until the week after. This year we're hosting somewhere else so I am having to seriously resist the urge to put Christmas decorations up before Thanksgiving gets here.

I would never put up a real tree that early. I remember one year when we put up a real tree on the 14th of Dec. and had to take it down by the 26th - SO dry!!! You just never know when the trees are cut!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    I would never put up a real tree that early. I remember one year when we put up a real tree on the 14th of Dec. and had to take it down by the 26th - SO dry!!! You just never know when the trees are cut!
    they are cut in October. I know you have to water them at least once, maybe twice every day and if it gets dry and the tree forms a barrier on the bottom of the trunk, you have to recut it

Whoa! Ya can't recut a tree that's already decorated!

Quote Originally Posted by Merry Christmas Darling View Post
    Whoa! Ya can't recut a tree that's already decorated!
    I agree it would be a major pain in the rear and most of us, including me, wouldn't do it, but that is what would be required to get the tree to take up water again and not so quickly dry out and die

We put up a real tree every year for YEARS! We always re-cut the bottom before we decorate and always give it plenty of water - but that one year, the tree was done for by Christmas Day!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

First week of december I add a bit of decorations around the house and mid december a fresh tree with decorations and lights.Central heating dries it out so not too early.

DSC00212.JPGDSC00211.JPG
    Just put up my (real) tree yesterday

that is so very nice how pretty.

Thank you..pictures are blurry, I took them with my video camera … I'm very vintage with my decor a lot of it is from the 50's