Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast

Thread: When do you start to feel the holiday season?

welcome to the forum!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by neatheyc View Post
    Hi all!

Am so glad to have found this forum! And I thought it was just me that still gets excited over Christmas.

Most of my friends and family don't really like Christmas, but for me, its the best bit of the year and is something that I always look forward to. Even though I am 34!

I am starting to get excited now. I usually try and contain myself until December. But I can see me visiting all the garden centres soon to see their decorations.

Christian
    Hi and to this fantastic forum.

Merry Snowy Christmas
    Love & Peace to the World

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    I've been frequenting some of our local stores that have already been stocking shelves with Christmas decorations for about 3 weeks now! I've already bought all the additional lights to go on my exterior display this year. I will be hanging the outside lights next weekend!! However, I won't light them until Thanksgiving night.

:tree:

When November comes and Christmas commercials appear I think it's official. Christmas is near.

Merry Snowy Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinJack81 View Post
    Well I'm jealous of you both! We won't put our's up until the day of or the day after Thanksgiving.
    Do you mind explaining what Thanksgiving is please? I see it a lot on programs like Friends and Buffy the Vampire Slayer and other american series' and get the gist of it being a Roast dinner, and soemthing to do with native Americans? Or am I waaaay off? Haha! How close to Christmas is Thanks Giving celebrated? Which day of the year? Is it to do with Christmas, or a separate holiday?

Sorry for the questions. I hope you don't mind me asking but I'm so curious!

Thanksgiving was originally celebrated by the pilgrims in the 1600's in celebration of a successful harvest and food gathering and hunting. The pilgrims (who sailed from England) celebrated with the Native Americans who helped them get through the year! It was meant to give thanks to God for his blessings and that they had survived the brutal year full of hardships. It did not become a national holiday until years later. It is held on the 4th Thursday of November. It involves eating great food and spending time with family. Traditionally the meal consists of Roast Turkey with gravy, bread/herb stuffing, potatoes, yams, various vegetables and breads, cranberry sauce, and pies (especially pumpkin). The exact menu varies from region to region and family to family. We watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade which kicks off the holiday season and football games! The day after is Black Friday and is the official kickoff of the holiday shopping season! Hope this explains! It is a much treasured and enjoyable holiday!
    Last edited by ornamentmaven; 11-02-2010 at 07:47 AM.
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by TIATIA View Post
    When November comes and Christmas commercials appear I think it's official. Christmas is near.

+1
    When it seems the magic slipped away...
    We find it all again on Christmas Day

*Seeing isn't believing.Believing is seeing.*

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    Thanksgiving was originally celebrated by the pilgrims in the 1600's in celebration of a successful harvest and food gathering and hunting. The pilgrims (who sailed from England) celebrated with the Native Americans who helped them get through the year! It was meant to give thanks to God for his blessings and that they had survived the brutal year full of hardships. It did not become a national holiday until years later. It is held on the 4th Thursday of November. It involves eating great food and spending time with family. Traditionally the meal consists of Roast Turkey with gravy, bread/herb stuffing, potatoes, yams, various vegetables and breads, cranberry sauce, and pies (especially pumpkin). The exact menu varies from region to region and family to family. We watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade which kicks off the holiday season and football games! The day after is Black Friday and is the official kickoff of the holiday shopping season! Hope this explains! It is a much treasured and enjoyable holiday!
    Aw thank you for the explanation! That sounds awesome! I wish we had Thanks giving here in the UK!

You're welcome!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas_mama View Post
    Aw thank you for the explanation! That sounds awesome! I wish we had Thanks giving here in the UK!
    I wish the same. It is a great holiday.

Merry Snowy Christmas