Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do to get in the spirit?

It don't take much to get me in the christmas mood . I love to listen to christmas music and wrap presents. I start my presents early in fact I pretty much have for my greats and the ladies for next year already and only need 5 gift cards and the snack foods for the couch potato basket yet to buy to be done this year. It helps me to be prepared early. As We have a limited income!.

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinJack81 View Post
    You know, I've never tried eggnog...don't think I'd like it.
    You don't know what you're missing - it's a versatile drink - you can have it with or without alcohol. We usually drink it without. I, actually, just picked some eggnog up today. Can't wait to have my first sip.
    ~ McDLT ~

I don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but i'll throw my two cents in...

First, I start watching Christmas movies. (Tonight, I already started with my wife! We watched Prancer and I just finished watching The Polar Express.)

I have A LOT of Xmas movies I enjoy! My favorites are:

Home Alone 1 and 2
    A Christmas Story
    The Night They Saved Christmas
    Elf
    It's A Wonderful Life
    How the Grinch Stole Christmas (both cartoon and full-length movie)
    Christmas Comes But Once A Year
    Rudolph
    Frosty (both versions)
    Garfield Christmas
    Charlie Brown Christmas
    The Santa Clause
    A Christmas Carol (all versions!)
    California Raisin Christmas

Okay, I could go on forever with those!

Anyway, music is obviously crucial in prepping for the season. I like to start listening to Christmas music about at the time of the first frost of the year. Sometimes sooner... And I'm a little specific about what KIND of Xmas music I play: Classics! Home Alone soundtracks. Instrumentals (from orchestral to piano solo to celtic/folk to trans-siberian). Old Times (think Time-Life Treasury of Christmas)... Basically anything that's not ruined by so many current popular artists (unless they become classic, ie, "the Christmas Shoes").

All Saint's Day (November 1, for those who don't know when that day is) is the day I start really getting into the spirit. Halloween is over, so forget Thanksgiving decorations (in my opinion, everyday should be a day of thanks), and get straight to CHRISTMAS! Computer wallpaper is usually a scene of a Thomas Kinkade holiday painting. Piano is covered with a hunter-green lace and red and green garland and this year, two old-fashioned lanterns with a cozy electric candle light in each, set on both sides of the top of the piano. Along with a 16"-standing doll of Father Time.

And that's just getting things started... !!!

Quote Originally Posted by gemiknight View Post
    I don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but i'll throw my two cents in...

First, I start watching Christmas movies. (Tonight, I already started with my wife! We watched Prancer and I just finished watching The Polar Express.)

I have A LOT of Xmas movies I enjoy! My favorites are:

Home Alone 1 and 2
    A Christmas Story
    The Night They Saved Christmas
    Elf
    It's A Wonderful Life
    How the Grinch Stole Christmas (both cartoon and full-length movie)
    Christmas Comes But Once A Year
    Rudolph
    Frosty (both versions)
    Garfield Christmas
    Charlie Brown Christmas
    The Santa Clause
    A Christmas Carol (all versions!)
    California Raisin Christmas

Okay, I could go on forever with those!

Anyway, music is obviously crucial in prepping for the season. I like to start listening to Christmas music about at the time of the first frost of the year. Sometimes sooner... And I'm a little specific about what KIND of Xmas music I play: Classics! Home Alone soundtracks. Instrumentals (from orchestral to piano solo to celtic/folk to trans-siberian). Old Times (think Time-Life Treasury of Christmas)... Basically anything that's not ruined by so many current popular artists (unless they become classic, ie, "the Christmas Shoes").

All Saint's Day (November 1, for those who don't know when that day is) is the day I start really getting into the spirit. Halloween is over, so forget Thanksgiving decorations (in my opinion, everyday should be a day of thanks), and get straight to CHRISTMAS! Computer wallpaper is usually a scene of a Thomas Kinkade holiday painting. Piano is covered with a hunter-green lace and red and green garland and this year, two old-fashioned lanterns with a cozy electric candle light in each, set on both sides of the top of the piano. Along with a 16"-standing doll of Father Time.

And that's just getting things started... !!!
    I love your descriptions of everything! And would really enjoy seeing pics of your decorations once they're up this year, as they sound very classic.
    PumpkinJack81
    Bob, Forum Moderator
    AllThingsChristmas.com

When Santa pulls into Herald Square on the Macy*s Parade, it's officially Christmas to me.

---
    ladyice
    icon from pattywack1992 @ LJ

Actually I start thinking about Christmas in July for I know it's almost the end of summer and the older I get, the faster time goes by.
    I know I have to plan my gift list, my holiday meals and my decorating, so I pick up decorations year round, ummmm I guess you can say I'm always thinking about Christmas.

Merry Christmas

Littledonkey Guest

Getting Christmassy This Year

Hi,everybody
    I'm a new member and I'm from England
    This year my husband and I will be getting in the christmas mood by visiting Germany for a few days a couple of weeks before Christmas.
    We're going to a medieval city called Rothenburg-ob-der-Tauber.It's often called Christmas Town because it has a huge christmas shop and christmas museum which are open ALL YEAR ROUND!
    Every year I get into the spirit around the end of November by making my Christmas Pudding( I'm not sure if you have that in the USA) and Christmas cake.I also listen to seasonal music but usually fight with my daughter about it because she likes christmas pop music and I like traditional.I'm christmas mad (like a big kid) and stumbled across this sight after putting the word "christmas" in a search engine.It's nice to talk with like-minded people.

Smile christmas spirit

Quote Originally Posted by Brokendreams4905 View Post
    Listening to christmas music, buying presents for people, watching christmas movies, making christmas cookies
    I must say that I just love watching the little dancing santa and rudolph, that is just so cute.

For me it is always about LOUD xmas music! Living in a wintery area helps too with snow outside. Opening all the windows so I can see.

______

Someone somewhere loves ya!

:santa: getting in the spirit

I put on christmas music also and fix some cider , then walk outdoors to see my christmas lights. I also go downtown every year to Browns Island and look at the decorations in that area, Maymont also gets me in the spirit every year.