Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Celebrate Christmas Without Money

Yankee Candle Company kicks off the holiday season next week. They have several new holiday scents. I love their candles!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Not to sound like some kinda "Commercial Grinch" but I don't agree with making presents for people. Food may be alright but what if you are someone like me who doesn't eat cookies? Or someone that doesn't like soup? Generally, unless your really skilled at making something, the person will just end up putting it in the attic (or worse)

The other stuff I can get behind but as far as presents go, we live in a commercial society. People are going to get a lot more use out of a sweater from Kolhs than something you built in the garage.
    "I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys." ~Charles Dickens

Quote Originally Posted by Fezziwig View Post
    Not to sound like some kinda "Commercial Grinch" but I don't agree with making presents for people. Food may be alright but what if you are someone like me who doesn't eat cookies? Or someone that doesn't like soup? Generally, unless your really skilled at making something, the person will just end up putting it in the attic (or worse)

The other stuff I can get behind but as far as presents go, we live in a commercial society. People are going to get a lot more use out of a sweater from Kolhs than something you built in the garage.
    I think it depends upon how talented the person making the gift is. I have numerous priofessional artists in the family and cherish the paintings they've given me over the years! My mother-in-law and grandma were both excellent with yarn and a pair of knitting needles or crochet hooks. I still have (and use)blankets and scarfs they made years ago!

It also shows more though for a person if you invested time making something for them. They also end up with something unique.

It definitely helps if you have some skill though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fezziwig View Post

Don't you know that it depends entirely on the gift and the recipient? I mean, a sweater from Kohl's might be the wrong style or color. Buying clothing doesn't guarantee that the recipient will like it and some people can't afford to buy clothing for everyone on their list. It helps to actually know the recipient. My daughters' thread crochet is something I totally love!

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

what about sing and dance for the Christmas celebration?

Marshmallow World, while I was only citing the clothing as an example, you can't be sure that whatever you will make the recipient is something they are going to want either. However, with the latter, you aren't able to return to the store and exchange it for something more your taste. Also, I would assume that if you planned on investing the time to create something for someone that you would have a pretty solid idea of what he or she likes.

Not Long Until Christmas, Right -- it's not meant to dismiss the gift giver. I have a number of things in my attic given to me by people I care a great deal for. There is a line between the practicality of something and the appreciation of the gift.

ornamentmaven, while this is true when have you given too many paintings or too many home made goods?
    "I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys." ~Charles Dickens

i like this post thx
    And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, Lying in a manger.
    - St. Luke ii.

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    For me, the gifts are almost secondary to my Christmas experience. I might exchange a gift if the size is wrong, but I will never simply return a gift that I might not like. The point is this: I still appreciate the sentiment. I give gifts within my means. If it's cheap, that's the way it is. Nobody ever gives me any grief for the gifts I give. Also, I don't think people who give me gifts spend too much time worrying over my response. They know I always like and appreciate it...regardless. Christmas need not be a time for breaking the bank.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    For me, the gifts are almost secondary to my Christmas experience. I might exchange a gift if the size is wrong, but I will never simply return a gift that I might not like. The point is this: I still appreciate the sentiment. I give gifts within my means. If it's cheap, that's the way it is. Nobody ever gives me any grief for the gifts I give. Also, I don't think people who give me gifts spend too much time worrying over my response. They know I always like and appreciate it...regardless. Christmas need not be a time for breaking the bank.
    Agreed Mike - In fact, the home made gifts are the ones I usually prefer! My sister is a professional artist who also teaches ceramics classes - I LOVE the ceramics pieces she has sent to me. Fezziwig, my family is EXTREMELY artistic - many professional artists. Other people buy things they make and gift those items to their families! We are NOT talking about junk here! If you know your family well and you have a talent - you won't make a mistake making something for them. I get soooo many purchased gifts each year that I have NO use for. The only ones I will exchange are clothing purchased in the wrong size. It is more important not to hurt the feelings of the giver than to love the gift!