Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever stolen your outdoor decorations?

:santa:

Unfortunately even things in the back garden seem to go here. When we put rubbish out people have been known to look in the bags (!!) too to see what it was and anything 'free to a good home' put on the front is gone by the end of the day so a decoration wouldn't last long in our front garden sadly.

If it's possible to secure them I would - it'd be cheaper than replacing them if they get broken or stolen. Unfortunately you can't have anything anymore!

Never had Christmas decorations stolen when I lived with my parents - then again, the most we'd ever done was lights on the house. (Though we did have lawn chairs stolen off of our front porch once when I was younger - my dad was FURIOUS!) My suggestion would be, as someone else said, motion-sensitive spot-lights. The simple act of a light coming on may be enough to scare the crap out of the little punks and scare them away. Never know, worth a shot! I also like the "secure whatever you can" approach. Hopefully they aren't thinking far enough ahead to bring bolt cutters or something though.

Its so sad that people actually steal Christmas decorations. Then again, I regularly have things (decorations, flowers, my Christmas wreath) stolen off my mother's grave, so it really shouldn't surprise me...

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling. - Edna Ferber

Angry

No, but they've tried to knock them down a few times :(

Merry Snowy Christmas
    Love & Peace to the World

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    I kind of hope that my stuff isn't all that appealing in terms of dollar value to any prospective thief. I'm more concerned about vandalism than theft.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Our neighbor had their inflatable stolen. We put out inflatables too, but our house is much brighter in terms of lights. We have not had anything stolen from our yard. I am hoping it stays that way.
    A Very Merry Christmas to all!

Quote Originally Posted by mikaldinho View Post
    The street I live on you couldn't put them up, because the second you blinked, they would be gone :(
    Same as this. My area is a little rough. I worry about leaving my car outside, let alone easy-to-steal decorations, and I'd be too gutted if somebody stole Christmas decorations so I don't put them up.

I've never had anything stolen, but I live on a quiet, out of the way, dead-end street. We have no through-traffic yet most of the houses up here are decorated. You would think - why bother, but I guess we all do it for each other!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

I'm happy to report that none of my folks' outdoor decorations (including extension cords) were stolen this past Christmas. That's an improvement compared to one year ago. This holiday season, I decided to take down everything before Jan. 1, and all the extension cords were wrapped around multiple trees, poles, and other items in their front yard during the month everything was on display.

my mother had a lawn cresh that was so cute one night some one stold the baby Jesus we never found it ,
    my yard is fenced around with gates & we have dogs .
    And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, Lying in a manger.
    - St. Luke ii.

Here is the funny thing.. 2 years ago, some guys stole baby Jesus from Nativity scene in our citys central square..
    Last year, the mayor got another baby Jesus for the Nativity scene, but,,, guess,, they stole the baby, again!!

This year, they did not put a nativity scene in the central square, just an ice rink..
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And so, as Tiny Tim observed, "God Bless us!! Everyone!!''
    A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens (1843)