Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: How do you spend Christmas Eve?

I spend Christmas eve in an eggnog stupor

We're starting a new tradition this year for Christmas Eve. Our family is going to afternoon brunch (didn't know there was such a thing) with our oldest daughter's in-laws before going to the Christmas Eve service at church. We're eating at a place called The Mockingbird Restaurant, and it looks really neat. It's in an old farmhouse just south of Franklin in Spring Hill.

http://themockingbirdrestaurant.com/index.html
    "The best way to spread Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear."

Christmas Eve will be quiet this year. My Mom is going to visit my sister and her family out west (Seattle). My husband's family is now too far away to just drop in for our Christmas Eve buffet. So, I guess it will just be the 4 of us and maybe one of the boyfriends! I still plan to make a (scaled down) version of our Christmas Eve seafood buffet - it wouldn't be the Eve without it!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatechip1979 View Post
    On Christmas Eve we bake cookies for Santa (and us of course). Peel some carrots for the reindeer. Sneak into our stockings. Watch a lot more holiday movies and then end the night packing up in the car with cocoa and cruising to look at the Christmas lights..
    That sounds cozy! I'm glad you don't forget the reindeer! But, how do you sneak into the stockings before Santa comes?
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyElfDC View Post
    I remember you posting your Christmas eve menu. It sounded delicious, but a lot of work. I know you said Christmas dinner is just you immediate family. Do you assign that one to your daughters or do you feast on left overs from Christmas eve? I always tell people I am not cooking two big meals. If I have overnight guests, we eat out Christmas eve, and Christmas morning is store bought muffins, cheese and fruit.
    I know some people who have a big Christmas eve dinner, then a big Christmas morning brunch, and then a big Christmas dinner. I love to eat, and I'm no light weight, but I wonder how those folks pack away so much food in such a short period of time.
    I really wish I liked to cook. It sounds like it could be a creative, satisfying thing.
    And if the food is anything chocolate, I can fit about 5 times as much into me.
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

We spend it baking for all of our neighbors on the block, having a family dinner then we drive around looking at decorated homes while sipping on cocoa and consuming McDonalds fries. Hasn't changed in years.
    A Christmas hug should last a lifetime

I usually spend it with my ex wife and our parents in one place. Even though we're divorced, we're still on good terms and like to keep it that way for the sake of our child.

An early dinner, then over for Christmas Eve services at the church and finally a Christmas themed movie or special on TV. At the end of the evening when everyone else has gone to bed, I sleep right by the trees (yes, several) until the morning.

Just stay home and watch 24 hours of A Christmas Story on TBS

I have noticed that they do run that each year. I like the idea that it comes on enough so many people will have the chance to view it completely. Me, I have a really tough time watching the same movie even in the same month, but my wife can watch the same film over and over again...
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"