Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: How do you spend Christmas Eve?

Just like every year! We go to church, give wishes, gifts to each other, enjoy food with friends and family and lots of songs and fun.....

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    I usually host Christmas dinner at my house on the 25th,. Since I started doing that, my tradition for Christmas eve is to cook by rear end off, so I can have as much made ahead as possible for Christmas day. Then I finish cleaning the house.
    I wouldn't mind a new tradition!

Quote Originally Posted by JollyElfDC View Post
    I usually host Christmas dinner at my house on the 25th,. Since I started doing that, my tradition for Christmas eve is to cook by rear end off, so I can have as much made ahead as possible for Christmas day. Then I finish cleaning the house.
    I wouldn't mind a new tradition!
    That's how I spend Christmas Eve day, so on Christmas Day - I am so exhausted, all I want to do is sleep!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    That's how I spend Christmas Eve day, so on Christmas Day - I am so exhausted, all I want to do is sleep!
    I remember you posting your Christmas eve menu. It sounded delicious, but a lot of work. I know you said Christmas dinner is just you immediate family. Do you assign that one to your daughters or do you feast on left overs from Christmas eve? I always tell people I am not cooking two big meals. If I have overnight guests, we eat out Christmas eve, and Christmas morning is store bought muffins, cheese and fruit.
    I know some people who have a big Christmas eve dinner, then a big Christmas morning brunch, and then a big Christmas dinner. I love to eat, and I'm no light weight, but I wonder how those folks pack away so much food in such a short period of time.

I remember you posting your Christmas eve menu. It sounded delicious, but a lot of work. I know you said Christmas dinner is just you immediate family. Do you assign that one to your daughters or do you feast on left overs from Christmas eve? I always tell people I am not cooking two big meals. If I have overnight guests, we eat out Christmas eve, and Christmas morning is store bought muffins, cheese and fruit.
    I know some people who have a big Christmas eve dinner, then a big Christmas morning brunch, and then a big Christmas dinner. I love to eat, and I'm no light weight, but I wonder how those folks pack away so much food in such a short period of time.
    Last year I didn't cook at all for Christmas! We sold our house on Dec 17th and didn't move into our new one until Jan 8! It was a surreal Christmas celebration! We actually spent 3 days at a dude ranch and had a lot of fun! I actually am looking forward to all the cooking this year! We all help out with the cooking on Christmas Day and usually make a nice, but simple menu (Roast beef, baked potatoes, salad, veggies and leftover cookies and cake). For breakfast, we have either a store-bought quiche and fruit salad or my daughter will make a bread pudding - eaten while we open gifts!

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    Last year I didn't cook at all for Christmas! We sold our house on Dec 17th and didn't move into our new one until Jan 8! It was a surreal Christmas celebration! We actually spent 3 days at a dude ranch and had a lot of fun! I actually am looking forward to all the cooking this year! We all help out with the cooking on Christmas Day and usually make a nice, but simple menu (Roast beef, baked potatoes, salad, veggies and leftover cookies and cake). For breakfast, we have either a store-bought quiche and fruit salad or my daughter will make a bread pudding - eaten while we open gifts!
    I would love to do a beef roast for Christmas (particularly prime rib) unfortunately with beef, Murphy's law always dictates that one guest likes their beef rare and another likes it well done. I'm not going to spend the money on prime rib and have disappointed guests.I suppose I could make it the way I like it (medium), and then make a turkey breast or something too.

I would love to do a beef roast for Christmas (particularly prime rib) unfortunately with beef, Murphy's law always dictates that one guest likes their beef rare and another likes it well done. I'm not going to spend the money on prime rib and have disappointed guests.I suppose I could make it the way I like it (medium), and then make a turkey breast or something too.
    I hear you! Not a problem fo me since we all pretty much like it the same - medium - and it's only the immediate family!

Well, since my son's mom and I aren't together, Santa comes to my house Christmas Eve morning
    On the night of the 23rd, we watch Christmas movies. At bedtime, I read my son "Twas the Night Before Christmas".
    Christmas Eve morning is when the magic takes place Such a great moment watching the twinkle in my boy's eye knowing that Santa has rewarded him for being so good!

After that, we assemble and play with toys. At about 2 pm, we go to my parent's house where my sisters and their families all gather for a feast, gift exchange, and some good hearted family time. At about 8 pm, my son's mom picks him up so that the magic can happen Christmas morning at her house. After my son leaves from my house, I have a few friends over for drinks and food and we all revel in the beauty of the season!

On Christmas Eve we bake cookies for Santa (and us of course). Peel some carrots for the reindeer. Sneak into our stockings. Watch a lot more holiday movies and then end the night packing up in the car with cocoa and cruising to look at the Christmas lights..
    A Christmas hug should last a lifetime

This has changed through the years before we would go to my grandmas and have a buffet and watch a movie or just sit and chat.
    Then my mum used to do a mini buffet for just my immediate family and we would watch a movie. This is how it currently is but when my mum had to work Christmas eve so I did the buffet with my dad. We get to open a gift that my mum chooses, this is usually a bag or stocking full of sweets(candy) and chocolate.