Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Eve dinner

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States

Christmas Eve dinner

We are actually kicking around ideas for what will become our ongoing "traditional Christmas Eve dinner". Starting this year, our plan of going to my parents' house is going to change. It's mostly because we would prefer to go to our OWN church on Christmas Eve. Therefore, we will no longer be away from home on Christmas Eve. So...we want to come up with a meal that my wife can make every Christmas Eve from now on, for just our family. She leaning toward prime rib. As of right now, I don't have anything alternatives to suggest. Anyone have any ideas?

Prime Rib sounds perfect! Congratz for choosing a new way to celebrate!

Our day is so racy preparing for Christmas Eve at the in-laws, we get very little downtime. But we manage to always put-on a crockpot of potato soup. After the festivities, we get home in time to have a quiet cup of soup before heading to a late mass (just the two of us). That quiet moment - it is my most favorite tradition!

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    I personally would be to worried keeping an eye on a Prime Rib roast, but if your wife is comfortable with it I say go for it.
    If you want something easy I recommend a spiral cut ham. It's probably the easiest thing I've ever made.
    Last edited by JollyElfDC; 05-19-2011 at 01:23 PM.

I have the same issue, but mine is during Thanksgiving..I figured since for weeks, we would be eating traditional fare, I would have a nontraditional dinner the night before...so we go Italian, with pasta alfredo, homemade bread, Parmesan chicken. This has become a fav in our house, especially since it is a twist on the norm!
    A Very Merry Christmas to all!

The last few years, we've celebrated Christmas Eve with my wife's aunts, uncles, and cousins at a big potluck dinner they have. Growing up, we always had a spaghetti dinner on Christmas Eve with my grandmother fixing all of the food. She's getting ready to turn 94, and she still has a spaghetti dinner every Christmas Eve with my parents.

I love the thought of a big italian dinner at Christmas Eve!
    Joy to You!

We have a big traditional Italian Christmas Eve. The italian tradition is to serve numerous fish and seafood items and just a little pasta thrown in for good luck! My husband's family used to serve this menu up AFTER midnight mass! Thank God we've done away with that part of the tradition!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    We have a big traditional Italian Christmas Eve. The italian tradition is to serve numerous fish and seafood items and just a little pasta thrown in for good luck! My husband's family used to serve this menu up AFTER midnight mass! Thank God we've done away with that part of the tradition!
    That menu sounds great! Not a big fan of having dinner after midnight?

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    My wife and I both cannot stand seafood of any kind. We're perfect for each other that way. YUK!!

Hey...I am new member to this forum.