Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Eve dinner

Christmas eve used to mean, for my family, left over night to clear out the fridge so that all of the food for Christmas Day could fit. We'd each get to go in and pick what we wanted and then after dinner, we'd rearrange the furniture so there was almost no furniture in the living room. We video taped everyone opening presents to send to family. Our always constant was Christmas Morning where we'd have scrambled eggs and biscuits with a spicy sausage gravy. The last few years, we've been doing that breakfast for Christmas Eve dinner just because we couldn't wait any longer.

"It isn't the holly, it isn't the snow. It isn't the tree, not the firelight's glow. It's the warmth that comes to the hearts of men then the Christmas spirit returns again." - Unknown

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

As a child my family's menu consisted of two choices: take it or leave it. ~Buddy Hackett

That means you'll learn to like seafood, Mike!
    Last edited by Merry Christmas Darling; 07-27-2011 at 01:46 AM.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

Over the years, we've had takeaways for Christmas Eve dinner and this year I want to make something for mum and I. No chicken, turkey or gammon since we do have all those through christmas.... suggestions?

STAINED GLASS SALAD OR JELL-O

Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

1 box orange Jello
    1 box lime Jello
    1 box cherry or strawberry Jello

Dissolve each of the above in 1 cup hot water and add 1/2 cup cold water to each(use three 8" x 8" glass dishes). Let set until firm.
    Then take 1 box lemon Jello dissolved in 1 cup hot pineapple juice. Add 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water. Cool until creamy, partially set. Add 1 cup Cool Whip. Then add Jello cubes. Use 8x12 inch pan. Refrigerate.

When I made this, I think I remember using an angel food cake pan and serving it on a gorgeous pedestal cake plate.

Actually, it was prettier than the picture below because of the orange, green, and red Jell-O.

There's another recipe somewhere that uses whipping cream instead of Cool Whip. I'm not a Cool Whip fan.
    Last edited by Merry Christmas Darling; 08-22-2011 at 01:29 PM.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

we dont have a particular meal for xmas eve dinner...its usually something simple tho or a takeaway... which we hardly ever have and love.

christmas eve is always to hectic for us and we have to get ready for church
    Steph xx
    So excited for christmas 2012

Quote Originally Posted by stephmcuk View Post
    we dont have a particular meal for xmas eve dinner...its usually something simple tho or a takeaway... which we hardly ever have and love.

christmas eve is always to hectic for us and we have to get ready for church
    Is a takeaway something you buy at a restaurant and bring home?

Quote Originally Posted by christmasloves View Post
    Over the years, we've had takeaways for Christmas Eve dinner and this year I want to make something for mum and I. No chicken, turkey or gammon since we do have all those through christmas.... suggestions?
    Meatballs can be made ahead and frozen!

Easy Beer and Ketchup Meatballs

Ingredients
    1 (28 ounce) bottle ketchup
    24 fluid ounces beer
    1 1/2 pounds ground beef
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 onion, chopped

1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
    2.Place the beer and ketchup in a slow cooker on high setting and allow to simmer..
    3.Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the ground beef, garlic powder and onion, mixing well. Form mixture into meatballs about 3/4 inch in diameter. Place meatballs in a 9x13 inch baking dish.
    4.Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 20 minutes.
    5.Transfer meatballs to the slow cooker with the beer and ketchup and simmer for 3 hours; sauce will thicken.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easy-be...ls/detail.aspx

Cocktail Meatballs III

Ingredients
    3 pounds ground beef
    2 (1 ounce) packages dry onion soup mix
    3 slices white bread
    2 tablespoons half-and-half
    1 (28 ounce) bottle ketchup
    1 cup packed dark brown sugar
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Directions
    1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2.Remove the crusts from the white bread and tear into small bread crumbs. In a medium size mixing bowl, combine beef, soup mix, white bread crumbs and half-and-half cream. Roll mixture into 1 inch balls and arrange in 9x13 inch baking dishes (as many baking dishes as it takes or bake the meatballs in shifts).
    3.Bake 10 to 15 minutes; or until browned.
    4.In a slow cooker with the temperature set to high, mix together ketchup, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Cook until the mixture comes to a boil, then reduce temperature to low until you are ready to serve the meatballs.
    5.Place the meatballs in the sauce and serve.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cocktai...ii/detail.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow World View Post
    Is a takeaway something you buy at a restaurant and bring home?
    it can be but we order it over the phone and they deliver it to our house!!
    Steph xx
    So excited for christmas 2012

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    All we have on Christmas Eve is church, so that is the best time for us to have our nice, relaxing, BIG meal. Church is also always kind of early (around 4pm), so dinner is when we get home. On Christmas Day, we have WAY too many things going on, and places to go. A big dinner just isn't in the cards for us on Christmas Day.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!