Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas 2010 recollections

:holly: Christmas 2010 recollections

Well, it seems the decorations are starting to come down and Christmas 2010 is now little more than a memory. So I thought I would start a thread where we can all share our memories of last Christmas and keep them alive. What did you do over the Xmas holidays? Were you surprised by anything you received? What did you eat?

I live on the west side of Canada and have to travel east with my wife for Christmas every year to visit family. I spent Xmas morning with my in-laws, visited my great-grandmother (she's 101!) in the afternoon, and spent the evening at my mother's. We had a big turkey lunch (I had a drumstick!) with purple cabbage, potatoes, stuffing, and lots of other goodies. I got lots of great presents, and I like to think I gave as many! Boxing Day, we visited my father and opened presents there that evening after a big dinner with his side of the family.

All-in-all, a great Xmas. Looking forward to next Xmas already, when my wife and I will have a new baby to celebrate it with!

A new baby? That's wonderful. Congratulations

My Christmas was wonderful. I spent it with my husband and our two kids at home. We opened presents Christmas morning, went to visit my hubby's parents, had Christmas dinner with my parents, turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy etc. I'm sad now that is over and already looking forward to next Christmas.

Merry Snowy Christmas
    Love & Peace to the World

Quote Originally Posted by TIATIA View Post
    A new baby? That's wonderful. Congratulations
    Thanks, TIATIA! I'm pretty excited, myself.

My Christmas was wonderful. I spent it with my husband and our two kids at home. We opened presents Christmas morning, went to visit my hubby's parents, had Christmas dinner with my parents, turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy etc. I'm sad now that is over and already looking forward to next Christmas.
    Sounds like you had a great time. I'm looking forward to hearing about other peoples' Xmas experiences, too. Reliving Xmas memories is one of those things that keeps me going through the year.

Had some of my husband's family over for Christmas Eve. Had my traditional buffet dinner with Shrimp cocktail, Bacon wrapped scallops, Stuffed clams, Baked ziti, Long grain and wild rice, Chicken marsala, Swedish meatballs, Antipasto salad, cookies and fudge, wine, soda, etc. Had a really great time! Christmas Day was a quite day with the immediate family, presents and ham dinner
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Jordan, this is a great thread; thanks. We went up north to Ohio and Michigan for Christmas and New Year's to spend time with family. We had a wonderful time. We went a week early and stayed with my sister and her family for most of the time, and then spent the last two days with my oldest son. For Christmas (at my sister's) we had beef loin tips, mashed potatoes and gravy, broccoli, brussels sprouts, sweet potato, crescent rolls, green been casserole, and for dessert we had triple chocolate mousse cake that my sister made from scratch. Heavenly! This is the first time, that I can remember, that we haven't had turkey for Christmas dinner. My BIL decided he didn't want turkey this time. Oh, one more thing; we hadn't seen snow in at least 6 years and there was plenty for a while, then it warmed up enough so that all the snow melted within a day.

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    Well 2010 was a rather strange Christmas. First off it seemed that nobody I knew was feeling Christmassy. I had to work Christmas day and we had a potluck. It was very untraditional, but all the food was amazingly good.Since there was nothing to do at work, we ate and watched Christmas DVDs. On boxing day (Dec 26) I had my real Christmas dinner. I had a dear friend (who also has no family in this area)over and made a nice ham with scalloped potatoes, squash, greens and champagne. We watched the 1960's movie "The Parent Trap" and had a great time.(We had 2 bottles of champagne and then washed it down with some regular wine) The only down side was he refused to wear the hat that came out of his Christmas cracker. He thought the whole Christmas cracker idea was silly. It was by no means how I would have liked to spend the Holiday, but it was still an enjoyable Christmas.

As is tradition, my Mom visited Christmas Eve and joined my family for Mass. My in-laws joined us at the Church, and came back to our house afterward. Lots of excitement in the evening getting my two kids to bed. Of course, we had to check the Santa radar to see where he was at the moment.

After the kids are asleep, the adults watch parts of "It's a Wonderful Life" on NBC. We also love watching the "A Christmas Story" marathon on TBS over and over.

Christmas Day we open presents, listen to Christmas music, and enjoy each other's company. The afternoon is spent at my in-laws. Early dinner was ham and many wonderful sides.

It's hard to believe it's almost been a month since then. We took down our tree and decorations today since we've been so busy. (We haven't turned on the lights since the Epiphany Jan. 6.)

These are great memories. Does anyone have anything else to share? It's nice to hear that people still make the most of it even when they're not with their family over the holidays.

Actually for the first time in several years the whole family was able to gather at our house(even my 96 year-old mother-in-law)for our traditional Christmas. We had turkey, my husband's special dressing.green bean casserole, corn casserole,gravy, sweet potatoes and many desserts brought by family members. The decorations turned out exactly as I had planned and everyone seemed pleased with their gifts. That evening we went to my best friend's house and had snacks and wine and opened more presents. Really one of the best Christmases in years. The dog got so many snacks we still haven't used them up yet!

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Well...thinking back a couple months, it really was a wonderful holiday season in 2010. We watched Christmas movies every night all through the month of December. On Christmas Eve, we went to our new church for the very first time, and we've been going every Sunday ever since. We spent the rest of Christmas Eve at home, with just my wife and boys. On Christmas Day, we got up and opened presents, then went to my in-laws for the day. We had fondue for the big meal. Starting in 2011, we are going to plan for what will become our traditional Christmas Eve dinner that my wife will make for our family to have after church...from now on. We still aren't sure what it will be though. So far, we're leaning toward prime rib. Christmas 2010 was truly wonderful, and as my boys keep growing, they will just keep getting more and more enjoyable!!