Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a good gift when you don't want to give anything

What's a good gift when you don't want to give anything

I'm full-on against the commercialization and orgy of Christmas shopping and gifts. I'm not against shopping or gift giving, just buying something to fill the seasonable obligation. I'm also worried about the environment and the trash load that comes with useless gifts.

I try to find gifts of spending time together. Not just gift cards for them to go do something, but ideas for how we can spend time together. A puzzle to put together with kids. A board game that we can play together. Tickets to a museum and a set date when we can go together. A small trip to some amusement park or a trip to an interesting place. A nice dinner or lunch.

Does anyone have any other ideas along those lines? Or maybe another idea for someone who doesn't like to buy plastic gifts that will be trash before the year is out?
    Last edited by mesmark; 12-02-2010 at 08:37 AM.
    Merry Christmas

Tickets to a sports game? A movie or concert?

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Kind of an odd place to come to discuss the commercialization and orgy of Christmas.

@ MinnesotaMike - Fair enough. You left out the word "shopping" at the end of your quote.

But I'm not really here to discuss that. My question was what are some good ideas for gifts when you don't want to just buy something.
    Merry Christmas

Burn a disc.

TeachingTinyTots Guest
    Gifts to spend time with family is a nice idea...movie tickets or family memberships to Botanical Gardens or Discovery Centers are great They usually change their displays every season so that at the end of the year you save quite a bit and it makes a fun family outing.

Smile gift

hey...gifting is made easy and fun too..i just heard sumthin relly interestin frm my frend and i totally luvd it..giftin of experiances if you want u can checkout d website it's wittygift.com....try it..

You make a good point. Yup, I think a free movie/concert/meal would be a great idea. And you can still buy stuff without having to worry about the environment. In fact, why don't you try to buy eco-friendly gifts and introduce your loved ones to the whole range of green products being sold nowadays? So they can buy those products themselves next time.

If someone doesn't want to give a gift, then don't give one. Gift-giving should be done from one's heart, not just for the sake of giving a gift. If you truly don't want to give someone a gift, then be man (woman) enough to face the truth. Quit putting on a front for the person you really don't want to give anything to.

Thumbs up gifts

hey..i know giftin can be a headache & u need d tym,money etc...rite i have got sumthin really kool stuff that i came across...it's giftin experiances flowers & chocolates r old i guess instead go for sumthin easy and to your doorstep...d person can choose of his choice...check it out d webiste is wittygift.com....