Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Christmas Island!

Hello from Christmas Island!

Hi everyone

My name is Chris from Christmas Island (true, my name really is Chris!) in the Indian Ocean.

We're a part of Australia and yes, it's Christmas Day every day here as the local saying goes.

There are about 1500 people living here, most work at the local phosphate mine or in the government sector.

It's named 'Christmas Island' because it was found on Christmas Day in 1643 by a passing British East India Company.

As we are our own territory of Australia, we have our own postage stamps, postmarks, etc (but we use Australian money, laws, etc) which people get a kick out of on Christmas Day when they receive a Letter from Santa or Christmas Card that is postmarked from Christmas Island.

Usually I send out Christmas cards to friends and relatives, but this year I thought I would spread the cheer out to the rest of the world and offer to send Christmas Cards and Letters from Santa to anyone who wants one.

For the gift to get someone 'who has everything' why not give them a Christmas Card postmarked from Santa's Village on Christmas Island? If you have a kid who needs tangible proof of the magic of Christmas, email me some accomplishments they have made during the year (hit a home run? got an A in math class?) and I will handwrite a letter to them to congratulate them on being a 'nice boy or girl' (because Santa is always looking out for those naughty and nice kids right?) and send it to the mail. They'll see the postmark from 'Christmas Island' and they can believe in Santa for one more precious year. (Keep the letter on the fridge as a daily reminder that Santa is real!)

Or if you just want to collect a Christmas Island stamp, there's one free with every letter sent, lol.

All I ask is that you paypal me $8.00USD to cover the cost of buying a card and posting internationally (postage to the US and Europe is rather costly from Australia).

Chris

wow,it seems that Christmas Island is very wondeful,and i hope i could go to the island one day.

This is a perfect example of what the 'Christmas Market - buy, sell, trade' forum is supposed to be used for!

Although I'm very tempted, obviously I'd be a bit worried about giving out a personal address to a stranger... I'll think about it Chris.

"Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!

Cool idea. Similar to people getting cards sent from Lover post office in Wiltshire for Valentines Day. Unfortunately the village post office closed in 2007. Shame.

wow chris thats so sweet thx & welcome back to the Christmas forum
    And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, Lying in a manger.
    - St. Luke ii.

Thanks for sharing the information

I like the reading about the discovery and journey of christmas island. It would also like to go there for holidays.Thank you!

Island is the beat land to enjoy Christmas...

Well, we can't give personal information out on the internet about the children we love. The thought is nice, but there are safer ways to make children happy. No offense.

I wondered where Christmas Island was. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Merry Christmas Darling View Post
    Well, we can't give personal information out on the internet about the children we love. The thought is nice, but there are safer ways to make children happy. No offense.

I wondered where Christmas Island was. Thanks for sharing.
    Well said, Linda!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And so, as Tiny Tim observed, "God Bless us!! Everyone!!''
    A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens (1843)