Thread: Do you open or partially open gifts before wrapping them?

colorflux Guest

Do you open or partially open gifts before wrapping them?

I got most of my shopping done this year but I am curious for smaller children (mine are 4 and 7, girls) do you preopen any package before wrapping them so they can just take them out and play with them once opened on Christmas day? I am struggling with what to do, I think being more prepared, batteries, things pre programmed, etc help with all that time wasted opening gifts, maybe that is a part of the day people enjoy so I am just curious what others do. Thanks any advice will be greatly appreciated.

It depends upon the item, how securely it's packaged, how delicate it is, how many pieces are involved, how long to put together, etc.
    Last edited by ornamentmaven; 11-22-2010 at 03:32 AM.
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

I had a good friend who never wrapped gifts from Santa
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    I have two boys, ages 4 & 16 months. Up to this point I have never pre-opened any gifts for Christmas OR birthday to do what you are saying. However, in thinking about it, if it's a gift they will likely be pretty stoked about, it may not be a bad idea. One thing, though...in our house, it's kind of a rule that you don't stop to play with a gift until all the gifts are opened. For me, that would be harder to enforce if they opened it, and it was all ready to go.

I've never preopened before but that sounds like a really good idea! I think the one thing you'd need to be really sure of is that you're NOT going to return any of it. Returning is always such a hassle and if the object was open and unbroken, it might be hard to get your money back!

:gift:

I've never pre-opened any presents before either. I just make sure I have the batteries they need. I think that to help the kids open, program or do whatever necessary to help them with their new toys is part of the fun of the day. More time to spend together.

Merry Snowy Christmas
    Love & Peace to the World

I agree with TIA!
    I remember that after all the unwrapping is done, you sit down and get to open each package and that is a great way to spend the day, figuring out how everything works.

However if you have travel plans on Xmas day, you might want to unpackage a couple gifts so they can play for a while before you go, or dont have to fuss with the packaging to play with a toy or two when you return.

"Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!

It could actually be a good idea to open a little bit to make sure that everything's in place and it's really save for them to play with. I've never done that though.