Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No Thanksgiving in the UK...

It's funny because the traditional Thanksgiving menu is adapted loosely from what the pilgrims ate that day. They were native of England and adapted their dinner to what was readily available in the "new world"
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Yes Fezziwig, many Americans have included dishes from their native lands! I am half-Italian and my husband is Sicilian. Many in both of our families were immigrants. I am also half English/Scotish so we tend to stay with the traditional for Thanksgiving and the Italian menu for Christmas Eve!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Fezziwig View Post
    In some places they still have "Blue Laws" where stores and shops are closed on Sundays. I live in Passaic County NJ, we don't, but the neighboring County of Bergen does. It's actually a hassle I think, not being about to go to the store on Sunday is really a pain sometimes.

Personally, I think its a bit of a dated practice.
    I'm not sure. I think people just buy odd stuff on holidays. Nothing they really need. I think everything should be closed on a holiday. It makes the day more special. Now for Sundays, I think if you work during the week, it's a good day to shop and enjoy it.

Merry Snowy Christmas
    Love & Peace to the World

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    It's funny because the traditional Thanksgiving menu is adapted loosely from what the pilgrims ate that day. They were native of England and adapted their dinner to what was readily available in the "new world"
    Actually, with the exceptions of (wild) Turkey and maybe some Corn, Historains believe that the pilgrams didn't eat anything similar to what we eat today on Thanksgiving. They widely agree that there would have been little to no vegetables on the dinner menu (again except for corn) as they were weren't readily available and were a tough crop to grow in the beginning. It was documented that the Indians had brought 5 deer to eat. Beyond that, Historians beleive the Pilgrams enjoyed Lobster, Seal, and Swan on their Thanksgiving day.
    "I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys." ~Charles Dickens

Yes - I've heard about the seafood - makes sense as they settled near the ocean!

But Christmas here in Ireland, and the UK for that matter, is a lot better than America

We have St. Stephens' Day / Boxing Day the day after Christmas Day and feels a lot more of an elongated occasion
    Christmas Is THE BEST!!!

Is Boxing Day celebrated in the USA?
    So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle,
    Hail our dear old friend kris kringle,
    Driving his reindeer across the sky.
    Don't stand underneath when they fly by.

No we don't celebrate Boxing Day. However, I can't imagine Christmas could get any better than home! We all love our own traditions best!

My Girlfriends people are Irish descendants, so I am failure with St. Stephen's day. They often just go to church the morning after Christmas day-- nothing really elaborate like Christmas itself. Boxing day, on the other hand, I have no clue about. I know the Canadians do it -- a lot of the English common wealth nations adopted it but I guess it never got any attention in the States.

I always assumed it was just an extra day off of work with a origin that got lost somewhere in history. Do people do anything special for Boxing Day?
    "I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys." ~Charles Dickens

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    No we don't celebrate Boxing Day. However, I can't imagine Christmas could get any better than home! We all love our own traditions best!
    I agree.