Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you do for Christmas dinner?

yea it is very hectic but its nice that we get to see everyone! i have a few relatives this year that have moved to other states though so i wont get to see them for christmas :(

Quote Originally Posted by purpleskies View Post
    yea it is very hectic but its nice that we get to see everyone! i have a few relatives this year that have moved to other states though so i wont get to see them for christmas :(
    Its so hard when people move way. I've only seen my sister and her family twice for Christmas since she moved to the other side of the US (Seattle), more than 30 years ago!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Christmas Day we tend to snack throughout the day. Homemade cheese biscuits, Virginia Ham biscuits, candy, chocolate. There's fruit there, too, but no one ever touches it until, like, the 29 when everything else is gone or just about gone.

Our dinner is sandwiches. Fancy sandwiches, though. Fancy breads, meats, cheeses, spreads, etc. And it's a Create Your Own type of deal. I've always, even as a kid, have gone for the dark pumpernickel with black olives and cream cheese. Another favorite is to pile all the cheeses on either sourdough or Jewish Rye.

For a couple of years, after my brother was all, "We need a proper dinner," we had chicken cordon bleu. The frozen ones where you toss them in the microwave for a few minutes. Then he got sick off of it and that was the end of that.

It depends where me and hubby are for Christmas. If we are staying in Liverpool his mum cooks a big turkey and carrots and green veggies, Hubby makes his amazing roast potatoes and parsnips and yorkshire puddings and sister in law brings the stuffing. I make the desert which we eat about 4ish hours later because we are full. If we go to my family then my Dad cooks the whole lot and no one is allowed into the kitchen at all. He cooks enough to feed a small army

Actually for Christmas dinner my mom makes a pasta dish!She isn't a big fan of Turkey and being so soon after Thanksgiving she likes to make something differant & I am a vegatarian so I don't mind at all.She changes it every year one year she'll make baked ziti or a ravioli casserole etc.....anything she makes is yummy!

I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys. ~Charles Dickens

Quote Originally Posted by Winters Song View Post
    Actually for Christmas dinner my mom makes a pasta dish!She isn't a big fan of Turkey and being so soon after Thanksgiving she likes to make something differant & I am a vegatarian so I don't mind at all.She changes it every year one year she'll make baked ziti or a ravioli casserole etc.....anything she makes is yummy!
    Wow, I can't imagine not having a roast, and especially can't imagine having pasta, on Christmas day haha But then, we don't have Thanksgiving here so it's not like we've just had a big roast.

When I lived at home, my mum always did roast Turkey with stuffing, veg, roast potatoes and all the trimmings... I don't eat meat anymore but the roast is a tradition that I just have to have

I have come to find, after speaking with many of you guys around the world, that American Christmas festivities aren't really "Traditional" as we are not really a "Traditional" people in the Nation sense. Our Thanksgiving falls a couple weeks before Christmas so I don't know many who eat Turkey on Christmas after having it a earlier. My family, as I mentioned earlier in the post, are Ham people. We eat Ham every Christmas Day.

In the US (much as Canada or Australia I would assume) we are a country of Immigrants and each culture brings something different to the table -- both literally and figuratively. My girlfriends family came from Columbia and the first Christmas I visited with them we mostly had different kinds of fish and fried foods -- strange I thought at the time but it was how they Celebrated over there. When she came by me she thought it was strange that we were eating ravioli. Our tradition is kinda adopted from everywhere else and incorporated into something distinctly American.

My flag waving is done, lol. I was just pointing out an observation.
    "I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys." ~Charles Dickens

Agreed, we never have Turkey for Christmas way too soon after Thanksgiving. On Christmas Eve it's a buffet of meats, pastas and seafood. On Christmas day it is usually Roast beef
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Aussie here so our menu is a little unusual.

Breakfast is usually a massive fry up consisting of steak, eggs, baked beans, bacon, chipolatas, sausages mushrooms, tomatoes

We usually have a massive lunch following that of roast beef, turkey and pork, salt and pepper calamari,garlic prawns & with fresh prawns, full roast veggies but also lots of salads (pasta/potato/greek/garden/bean/coleslaw) and usually a potato bake & pasta bake thrown in there as well. for dessert we usually have cheesecake, trifle, apple pie and Christmas pud and we usually snack on this all day or have left overs for dinner.
    we usually have anywhere from 9 people to 30 for lunch depending on whats going on.

We also always have cheese and antipasto platters to start off lunch with.

We also spend most of the day swimming and drinking beer
    Last edited by storm85; 10-22-2012 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by storm85 View Post
    Aussie here so our menu is a little unusual.

Breakfast is usually a massive fry up consisting of steak, eggs, baked beans, bacon, chipolatas, sausages mushrooms, tomatoes

We usually have a massive lunch following that of roast beef, turkey and pork, salt and pepper calamari,garlic prawns & with fresh prawns, full roast veggies but also lots of salads (pasta/potato/greek/garden/bean/coleslaw) and usually a potato bake & pasta bake thrown in there as well. for dessert we usually have cheesecake, trifle, apple pie and Christmas pud and we usually snack on this all day or have left overs for dinner.
    we usually have anywhere from 9 people to 30 for lunch depending on whats going on.

We also always have cheese and antipasto platters to start off lunch with.

We also spend most of the day swimming and drinking beer
    How can you eat that much in one day?! I think I'd be sick!