Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you do for Christmas dinner?

What do you do for Christmas dinner?

We're vegetarians here so our roast may seem a little dull to some. We have a quorne roast (a meat substitute, comes in a roll to roast and then slice - tastes nicer than it sounds!), roasted veggie sausages wrapped in veggie bacon, roasted vegetables including carrots, parsnips and onion and roast poatoes. We also have boiled / steamed veg including peas, cabbage and brussel sprouts. On the side near the roast we have hubby's sage, onion and apple mix which is just TO. DIE. FOR. delicious! And of course the yorkshire puds on the side!!

We always have a christmas cracker to pull at the table and a glass of red wine :-) and eat the meal with our Christmas hats on! Hehe

My mouth is watering just thinking of it!

And here it is, our vegetarian roast Christmas dinner! :D

What about you? What do you do for your Christmas day meal? Don't worry, I won't be offended by meat-eaters!
    Last edited by Christmas_mama; 11-05-2010 at 12:56 AM.

Wink

Looks good Christmas mama We like our turkey though. So we have it with stuffing with chestnuts, mashed potatoes and gravy, two kinds of salads, feta cheese pie and spinach pie and for dessert we have a fantastic chestnut cream pie. Mmmm

Merry Snowy Christmas
    Love & Peace to the World

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    I'm as "meat-eater" as it gets. We fondue steak & chicken.

On Christmas Eve we have strictly fish and seafood, it really varies judging on who is doing the shopping and what their tastes are. But normally a crabmeat stuffed sole or tilapia, scallops, shrimp cocktail, and then assorted veggies-- that sorta thing.

Christmas day we normally start off with Ravioli or Penne in meat sause (in liue of a salad), then break out the small appetizers, stuffed clams and mushrooms, fried cauliflower, Breads and Cheeses, kielbasa (polish sausage) and then whatever odds and ends family members bring over the house.

For dinner we have the Ham, Heavenly Ham THE BEST for those in the know, and with all the fixings. Desert is all Italian pastries and cookies like pignoli cookies, Sfogliatelle (or Lobster Tails as some call them, my favorite) Boconnotto (a type of cream puff), and cannoli. Then all the cakes and pies, Tiramisu, Pumpkin, Apple, etc.

We're Italian so we eat a lot and being in a culturally diverse area we eat a lot of different kinds of food.
    "I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys." ~Charles Dickens

Fezziwig- sounds like an Italian Christmas. We also have seafood on Christmas Eve!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezziwig View Post
    On Christmas Eve we have strictly fish and seafood, it really varies judging on who is doing the shopping and what their tastes are. But normally a crabmeat stuffed sole or tilapia, scallops, shrimp cocktail, and then assorted veggies-- that sorta thing.

Christmas day we normally start off with Ravioli or Penne in meat sause (in liue of a salad), then break out the small appetizers, stuffed clams and mushrooms, fried cauliflower, Breads and Cheeses, kielbasa (polish sausage) and then whatever odds and ends family members bring over the house.

For dinner we have the Ham, Heavenly Ham THE BEST for those in the know, and with all the fixings. Desert is all Italian pastries and cookies like pignoli cookies, Sfogliatelle (or Lobster Tails as some call them, my favorite) Boconnotto (a type of cream puff), and cannoli. Then all the cakes and pies, Tiramisu, Pumpkin, Apple, etc.

We're Italian so we eat a lot and being in a culturally diverse area we eat a lot of different kinds of food.
    New Jersey?...Italian?...Soprano?

The full works for us. I bought a Christmas cook book a few years back and I keep going a bit over the top with the food, but it wouldn't be Christmas if I didn't, I love it that way.

Ham, Turkey and stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, baked sweet potatoes with orange butter, green beans, glazed carrots, corn and the most wonderful yeast rolls that i get from the local kolache shop. Dessert varies from year to year usually pies and some type of Cheese cake from Cheese Cake Factory.All this followed by a nice nap
    Papa_Christmas

'I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future!' Scrooge repeated, as he scrambled out of bed. 'The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. Oh, Jacob Marley! Heaven, and the Christmas Time be praised for this! I say it on my knees, old Jacob, on my knees!' (Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol)

On Christmas eve I make a fancy dinner every year. Every year something different, but always something special.

We do the traditional dinner on the first day of Christmas. 1st Christmas day we use a sort of raclette and there is meat, fish, potatoes, bread and lots of veggies and sauces. It's a bit corny but nice.

This is more or less what the Turkey will look like in the UK.

We eat Turkey Christmas Day and usually have a great big Steak & Kidney Pie (savoury) at New Year...

We also have Christmas Crackers on the table to pull with each other. Inside them, is a funny little silly paper hat that we all wear whilst eating our dinner! (lol)