Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me find a good gift for my dad? Please

Help me find a good gift for my dad? Please

Every year I have a lot of trouble buying christmas presents for my father. He likes what I get him but he hardly uses the things.

I got him some movies he loved and he still hasn't watched any. I got him computer games, which he used and there aren't any games he is into right now.
    He has plenty of tools.

I have absolutely no clue what to get him. I ask him what he wants and he says he doesn't know or that he doesn't want anything.

Please can you guys give me some gift ideas? Thanks
    "And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more."

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    How old is he? Is he retired? Is he alone or married? Does he have any hobbies?

He is 50, not many hobbies, he is married.
    "And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more."

Specialty food gifts are always a good idea!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Although it is not the most original thing I usally give my dad a gift certificate from a store he likes. I also like to give restaurant certificates so he can go out to dinner with my mom.

If he likes it maybe theater/concert or museumtickets could be fun too.

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Yep...gift cards are always a safe bet. My parents collect DVDs, so rather than pick any out, they usually get gift cards so they can go buy movies they don't already have. My dad likes to golf, so I've given gift cards to a golf store. Whatever interests your dad has, get a gift card that will support his interests. I think it's safe to assume that, since he's your dad, it doesn't matter too much to him. He'll be happy with anything you do/get for him.

Gift cards re great - they're much better than something you don't like or having to return something! Teenagers love gift cards - they love to shop!

Last year, I thought i'd do something a bit different from buying dad shirts from Marks & Spencers or aftershave. So I commissioned an oil portrait of him and mum from a company called Fabulous Masterpieces. He was so touched and it now hangs in their living room. It was obviously pricer than buying clothes but it's also more special too.

This might sound cheesy, but three years ago my wife got me a t-shirt made at Cafepress with a picture of my son and it's my most cherished piece of clothing. After many washes the picture is fading, so I asked her to have another one made for me! I'm 37 and my son is 4, but I'd still wear one in 13 years and I bet your dad would too.

Usually you can get one of these teeshirts made at a mall!