Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what makes the perfect hot chocolate?

I love simple and delectable recipes like this. I will try this also.

My Christmas Blogs:
    - My most popular Christmas blog: KrisKringleForSingles dot blogspot dot com
    -
    HolidaySingleGirldot blogspot dot com
    -
    SilverandGoldChristmas dot blogspot dot com

I don't know how I came up with this because I've never had it in a restaurant or anything, but I love making just a normal hot chocolate however you normally do it, it even works with the powdered mix but it's better with fresh. Around the holidays, they sell flavored seasonal coffee creamers and I love to add a little bit of the pumpkin pie spice creamer. It makes it a little creamier and it gives it an extra level of flavor.

"It isn't the holly, it isn't the snow. It isn't the tree, not the firelight's glow. It's the warmth that comes to the hearts of men then the Christmas spirit returns again." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by nix View Post
    i'll try this one too, but is there any ready made stuff that you can just put in the microwave and the result is not too disappointing?
    For me...Starbucks has the best...nothing like having a hot venti (large) hot chocolate from SB and riding around looking at Christmas lights...oh, I am getting excited!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Elf_Erv View Post
    makes 4 servings

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1 pinch salt
    1/3 cup boiling water
    3 1/2 cups milk
    3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup half-and-half cream

1. Combine the cocoa, sugar and pinch of salt in a saucepan. Blend in the boiling water. Bring this mixture to an easy boil while you stir. Simmer and stir for about 2 minutes. Watch that it doesn't scorch. Stir in 3 1/2 cups of milk and heat until very hot, but do not boil! Remove from heat and add vanilla. Divide between 4 mugs. Add the cream to the mugs of cocoa to cool it to drinking temperature.
    ok,maybe weird question but how big cup I have to take for measure ingredients?
    When it seems the magic slipped away...
    We find it all again on Christmas Day

*Seeing isn't believing.Believing is seeing.*

A cup is a standard measurement here in USA. It is equal to 8 fluid ounces which I think is equivalent to approx. 235 ml.
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    A cup is a standard measurement here in USA. It is equal to 8 fluid ounces which I think is equivalent to approx. 235 ml.
    Thank you ornamentmaven,didn't know that
    When it seems the magic slipped away...
    We find it all again on Christmas Day

*Seeing isn't believing.Believing is seeing.*

My mom makes the best hot chocolate ever. I have no idea what her recipe is, though. Wish I did, lol. I may have to get it.
    But I suggest whatever recipe you use, use milk, not water. It makes it so much better.

I think my hot chocolate is pretty nice!

nothing special i just use the cadburys one made with warm milk. then i put spray cream and marshmellows on it....its such a treat
    Steph xx
    So excited for christmas 2012

Nice tips ...
    it helps and really works!! thanks

I fancy a hot chocolate now! You can get a pretty nice result using a hot chocolate powder. If it's a 'just-add-water' instant (although made with boiled full fat milk is clearly superior!) you can get a good taste by mixing the powder with a little cold milk first to make a paste. That way when you add the hot water you don't have trouble disolving all the powder, you get the most out of the taste and you don't end up with bits of powder floating around in your drink and that dissapointing half-water-half-chocolate weak choccy taste that some instants can bring. If it's to your taste, adding half a teaspoon of sugar can be nice, too.

I personally like to use Divine Fairtrade Cocoa powder. I add 3 heaped teaspoons of Cocoa powder and 1 heaped tea spoon of sugar (or more sugar if you have a sweet tooth). Mix with a small amount of milk, water or coffee creamer to wet the powder into a paste. Boil a cup (UK cup, not USA measurement) or mug of milk in a saucepan. Bring it to the boil, stirring continuously to prevent it burning on the bottom. Once boiling remove from heat. Pour a small amount of the hot milk into the cup and stir until all the chocolate paste is mixed well with the hot milk, then add the rest of the milk whilst stirring. This creates a nice smooth consistency and ensures there is no lumps or undisolved powder in the mixture. It also usually leaves me with a nice creamy froth on the top, too

However it's made, it's GOT to have a nice large serving of whipped cream on top and a flake on the side. Mmm Mmm Mmm! I really want one now, but it will kill my pre-Christmas diet