Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At the Mall Yesterday --- It's Coming!!!

A kiosk is a shopping area located within a mall. It's really an oversized cart that sells one particular item. At Christmas time you see these ornament kiosks. Kiosks are popular at Christmas because they can be temporary, seasonal and rent for a comparatively low cost. Commonly you see teeshirt kiosks, handbag kiosks, remote control toys, etc.
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Ornament Maven - thanks for answering, you're absolutely right!

This Kiosk is specifically just for ornaments - the centre court area of the mall creates a whole Santa Grotto for visits with him starting probably around mid-november. This is just the first thing I've seen set up at the mall for Xmas, so I wanted to share
    "Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!

"I have never heard the term "grotto" used in reference to Santa though!"

I think it's a case of being divided by a common language! Grotto in the sense that we english and europeans use it derives from the root word 'grotte' meaning den or cave.
    So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle,
    Hail our dear old friend kris kringle,
    Driving his reindeer across the sky.
    Don't stand underneath when they fly by.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mole View Post
    "I have never heard the term "grotto" used in reference to Santa though!"

I think it's a case of being divided by a common language! Grotto in the sense that we english and europeans use it derives from the root word 'grotte' meaning den or cave.
    I am assuming a "Grotto" would be something like where children go to sit on Santa's lap and take pictures with him. It may very well be called a grotto here as well, but we American's don't really call it anything .. its just where Santa is.

Kinda like a Beaver's Den is called a "Lodge" but people might not know the actual name just call it 'the place where Beavers live'

More to the point, if you said, "I sent my kids to go see Santa in the Grotto" people would probably quickly think you were talking about the Playboy mansion. The Grotto is a famous section near the Mansion's pool where -- well, things happen.
    "I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys." ~Charles Dickens

I haven't been to the malls recently, but they should be pulling stuff out by now. The local stores around here are.. Lowes has most of their stuff out as of this weekend. I would guess Target is next.

---
    ladyice
    icon from pattywack1992 @ LJ

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Target by my house has had stuff out for a good month now. Lowe's, Home Depot, and Menard's are all loaded for bear!!!

EDIT: Can't forget Wal-Mart and Fleet Farm!! In MN, the stores are already ramped up pretty solid!

Hehe I went to Marks and Sparks last week and they have a massive area of the shop kitted out in Christmas decorations and gifts and a grotto in the corner! It's like a wonderland in there! I took my girls in there and my eldest (2 years old) was exclaiming, "Ohhh Christmas things! LOOK Mummy, Christmas things!!" If only she knew I was just as excited as her! Hehe We took about half an hour to look at the different decorations and shake up the snow globes! lol

I need to get to some stores pretty soon!

I was at a card store the other day and they were playing this really nice Christmas music; it was subtle and not overwhelming so you felt like it was a peaceful transition into the holiday season.

Holiday Single Girl - a blog for singles who love Christmas
    http://holidaysinglegirl.blogspot.com

Went to the mall today! It was absolutely jammed packed! People were definitly Christmas shopping! I picked up one item myself!