Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Saddest Christmas song for you?

Quote Originally Posted by olga View Post
    Have Yourself a Merry Little Chiristmas - the first version, where Judy Garland sings the song to her little sister, in Meet Me In St. Louis.

I always get sentimental with that scene and this is one of the main reasons I find the particular song really sad.
    Everytime I listen to it, I get melancholic..
    I've been thinking about this question, and I think I'd have to agree. It's one of those Christmass songs which can go either way, for me. Another good version of it is Karen Carpenter's.

Strange how so many of the secular carols are like that. Even "White Christmas" isn't exactly all cheer and joy, reflecting on memories. I love this topic!

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    My wife thinks "Christmas Time Is Here" from A Charlie Brown Christmas is terrible. She thinks it sounds SO depressing the way it's sung.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    My wife thinks "Christmas Time Is Here" from A Charlie Brown Christmas is terrible. She thinks it sounds SO depressing the way it's sung.
    It does sound rather depressing!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    LOL, I hadn't thought of it, but it _does_ sound that way. Considering Charlie Brown's outlook, that may not have been accidental!

Most of album is like that, I agree with all of you.. that is the main reason I got the cd a few years ago.. Its also all that quite melancholy of the season...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And so, as Tiny Tim observed, "God Bless us!! Everyone!!''
    A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens (1843)

Although it's one of my favorite Christmas songs, "Same Old Lang Syne" by Dan Fogelberg is a sad one. Bumping into an old love on Christmas Eve, catching up, talking about old times, wondering what might have been. For those of us who let that one true love slip away......

Quote Originally Posted by wstaple View Post
    Although it's one of my favorite Christmas songs, "Same Old Lang Syne" by Dan Fogelberg is a sad one. Bumping into an old love on Christmas Eve, catching up, talking about old times, wondering what might have been. For those of us who let that one true love slip away......
    That is a great song.

Yeah, "Same Old Lang Syne" for me. "The snow turned into rain" line is just downright depressing.

As for "Christmas Shoes"... I've never even heard that song, unless I have and just didn't know it's name. But after reading all of the posts, I'm not sure I want to look it up.

Any song that can make you feel something so deeply is a great song to me. I like both Same Old Lang Syne and The Christmas Shoes. The Christmas Shoes is a song sung by a number of artists, one of whom being Billy Ray Cyrus, about a Mother who is dying and her son who struggles to get the money to buy her a new pair of red shoes - so she can dance one last time. You should check out both the song and the movie E.S.