Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Saddest Christmas song for you?

Oh man, hands down Christmas Shoes .. really-- its depressing. I turn it off it the radio even dares play it.
    "I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys." ~Charles Dickens

For me it has to be Josh Groban - Believe

brings a tear to my eye whenever i hear it

:santa:

Quote Originally Posted by Elizah View Post
    What was the saddest Christmas song for you? For me it's that song Christmas Shoes that was made into a TV movie with Rob Lowe.

i think the song by greg lake " I believe in Father Christmas " is a very sad song. If you listen to the lyrics theyt paint a very tragic and depressing picture of the happiest time of year!

i cant stand christmas shoes it ruins a happy time.

I'll be home for Christmas is it for me. Especially the Bing Crosby version. The sentence "I'll be home for Christmas if only in my dreams" always gets to me. That longing for home.

A good 2nd one for me is Lonely this Christmas by Mud.

"i think the song by greg lake " I believe in Father Christmas " is a very sad song."

They said there'll be snow at Christmas

They said there'll be peace on Earth

But instead it just kept on raining

A veil of tears for the Virgin's birth

I remember one Christmas morning

A winters light and a distant choir

And the peal of a bell and that Christmas Tree smell

And their eyes full of tinsel and fire

They sold me a dream of Christmas

They sold me a Silent Night

And they told me a fairy story

'Till I believed in the Israelite

And I believed in Father Christmas

And I looked at the sky with excited eyes

'Till I woke with a yawn in the first light of dawn

And I saw him and through his disguise

I wish you a hopeful Christmas

I wish you a brave New Year

All anguish pain and sadness

Leave your heart and let your road be clear

They said there'll be snow at Christmas

They said there'll be peace on Earth

Hallelujah Noel be it Heaven or Hell

The Christmas you get you deserve.

I read the lyrics differently. The song is about the expectation and the inevitable disappointment of christmas, but from

"I wish you a hopeful Christmas

I wish you a brave New Year"

The song says despite the disappointment the festive spirit endures, a point reinforced by the climatic instrumental outro.

Hear it for yourself and decide...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqOfXumI18A

For me it's not christmas until I've heard it.
    So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle,
    Hail our dear old friend kris kringle,
    Driving his reindeer across the sky.
    Don't stand underneath when they fly by.

I always thought "River" as covered by Sarah McLachlan was a sad one. Heck, that whole album has a sad, brooding mood to it. I do love it, though!

The band aid...do they know its christmas always makes me feel a sad when i hear it...sometimes it makes me embarrassed i am so excited and buying so much when there are people with nothing. Always brings me back down to earth when its on the radio.
    Steph xx
    So excited for christmas 2012

I agree with Elvira about "I'll be Home for Christmas" which was a wartime song and with stephmcuk and her sentiments regarding "Do they Know its Christmas Time".
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

"I'll be home for Christmas" is a rough one. In my Army days I spent Christmas 08 in the Middle East, we always had to turn that song off when it would come on Armed Forces Radio. Of course with all the modern technologies (Emails, Instant Messaging, Web Cameras) it was relatively easy to stay in touch with our loved ones back home, but that never really made the holidays much easier.

Funny enough, that year, about 2 weeks after Christmas it snowed in Iraq-- as far as I know it never snowed there ever. Some of the guys from the Southern US had never seen snow before and the Africans doing security around the city were beside themselves throwing snowballs and such. Really a Christmas Miracle .. a couple weeks .. late but a Christmas Miracle all the same.
    "I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys." ~Charles Dickens

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Looks to me like my opinion here is going to unpopular, but I absolutely HATE the song Christmas Shoes. It is absolutely the most transparent attempt to "tug the heartstrings" I have ever seen. It is so unbearably campy and cheesy, that I turn it off whenever it gets played. It's almost as though the writers of the song said "let's get as sappy as we possibly can in order to sell this song". Sorry folks, but it's terrible.