Thread: Butternut Squash

Butternut Squash

Butternut squash is one of the healthiest things you can eat, and it goes great with most traditional Christmas meals. Here's what I do with mine:
    Peel it, cut it up into small cubes and boil it. Its ready when you can easily stick a fork in the cubes. Now, mash it, sprinkle a small handful of chopped walnuts, cinnamon, and some pepper on each serving. That's it. Its like eating healthy candy. And if you want to give it even more goodness, sprinkle some milled flax seed on it. That may sound a little gross, but they're just ground up seed from the flax plant and they really don't have much of a taste. They do have omega 3 oils and fiber. Eat this along with your meals and you'll probably be around to celebrate lot more Christmases.
    craftguy
    http://sites.google.com/site/handpaintedornaments/gallery

I love butternut squash. And I just discovered it. Thanks for the recipe I cant wait to try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftguy View Post
    Butternut squash is one of the healthiest things you can eat, and it goes great with most traditional Christmas meals. Here's what I do with mine:
    Peel it, cut it up into small cubes and boil it. Its ready when you can easily stick a fork in the cubes. Now, mash it, sprinkle a small handful of chopped walnuts, cinnamon, and some pepper on each serving. That's it. Its like eating healthy candy. And if you want to give it even more goodness, sprinkle some milled flax seed on it. That may sound a little gross, but they're just ground up seed from the flax plant and they really don't have much of a taste. They do have omega 3 oils and fiber. Eat this along with your meals and you'll probably be around to celebrate lot more Christmases.
    Rebecca
    Count your blessings...My daughter and grandson are mine

Mmm I love butternut squash. Butternut squash soup is devine and an awesome autumn food, too :-)

It's also nice bbq'd but not really something to try this season! Thanks for the recipe craftguy

Cloves work good also.

My newest recipe for butternut squash is to eliminate the flax seed and instead I put a small pinch of cloves with the cinnamon, pepper, and walnuts and I use these things very sparingly because the butternut squash is delicious even by itself.

Please let me know any recipes you have that use healthful ingredients.
    craftguy
    http://sites.google.com/site/handpaintedornaments/gallery

I love butternut squash - it's great with sweet or savoury.