Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst Gift!

:gift: Worst Gift!

What's the worst gift you have received ever on Christmas day?

I mean, is there really a gift that's bad enough to take? despite the effort put into it?
    Looking for the Christmas gifts to your kids or loved ones? Visit www.gifts2010christmas.com

I am the Santa of the family, so I never expect presents from anyone... A few years ago, I took my Aunt shopping (she has impeccable taste, but a sharp tongue) and I wrapped the many gorgeous scarves, jewelry and trinkets for all of her friends and remote acquaintances... I helped my Aunt straighten up her house and clean-out her junk drawers of useless garbage she insisted I pitch in the trash bin. There was nothing salvageable: rotted rubber bands, old pencils, nuts, bolts, paper clips, bits of wire - junk... Guess what I got wrapped in a pretty silver foil paper? The junk drawer contents from the trash bin... If its truly the thought that counts, then the "thought" was unpleasant...
    Last edited by Xmas Annie; 09-25-2010 at 02:13 AM.
    If there is no joyous way to give a festive gift, give Love away...

a pink and white polka dot shower cap with an orange flower stuck in it from a distant aunt...

i was 15 at the time and have never used a shower cap in my LIFE!
    still, i used it to play a prank on my brother after christmas dinner, he fell asleep so i popped it on him and took lots of photos

Quote Originally Posted by Xmas Annie View Post
    I am the Santa of the family, so I never expect presents from anyone... A few years ago, I took my Aunt shopping (she has impeccable taste, but a sharp tongue) and I wrapped the many gorgeous scarves, jewelry and trinkets for all of her friends and remote acquaintances... I helped my Aunt straighten up her house and clean-out her junk drawers of useless garbage she insisted I pitch in the trash bin. There was nothing salvageable: rotted rubber bands, old pencils, nuts, bolts, paper clips, bits of wire - junk... Guess what I got wrapped in a pretty silver foil paper? The junk drawer contents from the trash bin... If its truly the thought that counts, then the "thought" was unpleasant...
    maybe she wanted to thank you for helping her. and one way for you to realize your worth is to give you a piece of what you did.. the junk!
    Looking for the Christmas gifts to your kids or loved ones? Visit www.gifts2010christmas.com

Quote Originally Posted by ChristmasKatie View Post
    a pink and white polka dot shower cap with an orange flower stuck in it from a distant aunt...

i was 15 at the time and have never used a shower cap in my LIFE!
    still, i used it to play a prank on my brother after christmas dinner, he fell asleep so i popped it on him and took lots of photos
    hehehe. that's what we call brotherly love

I have two worst gifts.

One was the dreaded kitten sweater that I recieved from my ex-husband's grandparents when we were first married. It was hideous, and as I believe that the only pets worth having are dogs and horses, it really didn't suit me. Plus it was two sizes too big.

The second worst gift was from my ex-husband himself. A can of woodstain, sandpaper and the declaration that he was going to refinish my antique vanity table himself. He's not a handy man, nor has he ever worked with antiques - it was one of those gifts where you just knew he had run out of time and ran into Canadian Tire hoping to find something, anything for a gift. I kills that I had bought him a bunch of well thought out, pricey gifts that year. He never did refinish my vanity, and I think I still have that woodstain, unopened, in my basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Xmas Annie View Post
    I don't understand, your Aunt wrapped up her trash and gave it to you as a present on Christmas? Was it a joke? Did she later give you a 'real' present? I think that if a relative did something like that to me it would take some real restraint not to ruin Christmas right then and there by telling her to " *BLEEP* off. " One way or another I am pretty sure I would never speak to that aunt again .. I'm Italian we're good at ostracizing family members.
    "I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys." ~Charles Dickens

I don't think there's such thing as bad gift, after all any gift involves an effort and this effort means love or appreciation..
    right now I'm thinking that somehow inappropriate would be not buying each of your family members one (like I am doing the collective gift thing) and I say that because I'm on a budget for this Christmas shopping.
    However, if you afford it you can make everyone happy

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    I can't think of one. However, I can think of the worst gift I ever gave. My wife was in her last year of law school, and she had said when she was done, she wanted to get a cat. I thought it would be a cool idea to surprise her...not with a cat, but with all the stuff she would need when she finally got one. SO, the genius that I am...I wrapped up a litter box, pooper scooper, and a huge tub of kitty litter!! Needless to say, it went over like a fart in church. Eventually, she understood my intent, but it was easily the worst gift I ever gave. :(

Nothing really, really terrible stands out!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas