Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Natural or artificial tree?

Natural or artificial tree?

I can understand the idea of having the same potted living tree each year (at least until it grows too big!) but I inwardly groan when I see all the trees cut down before they're fully grown, even though some of my foresting relatives describe them as ******* weeds. But then again, plastic trees, though they may last longer, use up valuable resources. So what is the most ethical tree to have?
    So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle,
    Hail our dear old friend kris kringle,
    Driving his reindeer across the sky.
    Don't stand underneath when they fly by.

Both. Indoors we have a artificial christmas tree. You can't buy natural christmas trees to have indoors in Britain, it's considered unethical and a waste of trees. It's artificial for everyone, there's nowhere that sells natural trees for indoors.

But I also have a planted christmas tree outside that I planted when I was a little kid and it's still alive and growing

:tree:

It's artificial for me. Although nothing compares to the smell and beauty of a real tree it doesn't agree with me, the idea, of chopping one down only for a few days and then throwing it away.

Merry Snowy Christmas
    Love & Peace to the World

Real trees are messy and I hate to seem them killed just for a few weeks of enjoyment. On the other hand they are grown just for that purpose, people make a living raising them, and there is the tradition of a live tree.

We have always used artificial trees, less mess, no hauling and disposing involved, our cats, and less of a fire hazard.

Artificial trees do require resources to produce but they can last many, many years. We have given old artificial trees to others via Freecycle before so they can go on being useful

Agree witH Elf Erv. Once I switched to artificial I stayed

Christmas trees are like crops. When they harvest them, they are planting ones to replace those that are cut down.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

I decided to go artificial this year. I just bought a new tree and can't wait to put it up!

:tree:

Quote Originally Posted by dees473 View Post
    I decided to go artificial this year. I just bought a new tree and can't wait to put it up!
    What kind of tree? How tall is it? Where did you buy it from? (Enquiring minds want to know )

Merry Snowy Christmas
    Love & Peace to the World

Always have a real tree. A Nordmann fir. We pay ca 28-35 Euros for a 3 meter tree.
    Its the season to be jolly
    www.the-christmas-season.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIATIA View Post
    What kind of tree? How tall is it? Where did you buy it from? (Enquiring minds want to know )
    I bought the 7.5' noble tree. It is perfect for me. I have open it up and the branches are sturdy enough for the bigger ornaments.
    http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/Tr...e-Fir-Tree.htm