Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buying a Christmas Tree

Hybrid View

buying a Christmas Tree

Hi, whats the best real type Christmas Tree to buy?

thanks

The real spruce, growing in a court yard, is the best deal.

Artificial ones doesnt really work for me anymore.. The real ones really look nice and they smell good as well. So I'd prefer that..
    Christmas Costumes - http://www.shopcomparecostumes.com/categories/545/Christmas-Costumes.html

it depends on what you like and what you are looking for in a tree. Spruces are gorgeous, but don't retain their needles as long as some others. Do you like long needles? Short needles? There are several good ones to choose from. What kinds are available in your area? My favorites are balsam and frasier fir. Frasier firs retain their needles the best, I think and balsams are the most fragrant and retain their needles quite well, too. Scotch pines are not among my favorites, but they have sturdy branches for hanging heavier ornaments on.

When I lived up North and cut my own tree every year I always liked a Norway or a Blue Spruce never liked long needles for my Christmas Tree.The spruce trees always worked well for all my heavy ornaments.
    Papa_Christmas

'I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future!' Scrooge repeated, as he scrambled out of bed. 'The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. Oh, Jacob Marley! Heaven, and the Christmas Time be praised for this! I say it on my knees, old Jacob, on my knees!' (Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol)

nyquiyup Guest
    I bought a prelit 7 footer at Home Depot last year. The lights on the middle section promptly died, so I called the store, and got a replacement. Then another section, and another. I have probably 30 hours into switching bulbs on this drat thing. In the past I had real trees, and I just left the lights on the tree when I threw it out.

My advice is buy one without lights and save yourself some serious foot-stomping temper tantrums in front of young children like my prelit tree has caused.

buying an artificial tree

I unfortunately am being out-voted and am looking to buy an artificial tree. From what I can discern, I think I want a 6 or 6.5 ft Nordic Spruce (which I can't seem to find). I would like to know what brand and kind people here have found to be their favorite, and if they know of a good company to buy them from. I've seen the 'Real Feel' kind that sounds appealing, but I'm not sure if I'm falling for the hype.
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

I have always purchased mine based on price, fullness - yet slimline, 7 foot, prelit with clear lights. I have no idea what kind of tree it is supposed to emulate! I put so many ornaments on it, you can barely see the tree anyway! I will look at the box the next time I am out in the shed!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    I have always purchased mine based on price, fullness - yet slimline, 7 foot, prelit with clear lights. I have no idea what kind of tree it is supposed to emulate! I put so many ornaments on it, you can barely see the tree anyway! I will look at the box the next time I am out in the shed!
    I thought the pre-lit aren't worth it, since the strands frequently burn out or malfunction...?
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, they usually have their trees 50% off the week of Thanksgiving. You might want to go and look at them to see what you like.
    "The best way to spread Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear."