Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: budget christmas decorating

:tree: budget christmas decorating

does anyone have some good ideas for decorating on a budget?

The dollar store, thrift shops, craigs list or free cycle. I try to buy my stuff after Christmas for the following year.

I bought an entire Christmas villiage at two thrift stores this year, very good condition, for only about $25 total. Very pleased with that purchase.

I also get a lot of little household decorations like mugs and candle holders, etc, from dollar stores!

"Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!

Oh, yes! There are paper patterns online which can be used for making ornaments or you can trace around cookie cutters. Computer paper or cardstock can be used. You can paint your windows with poster paint freehand or with stencils. You can buy ornaments, wrapping paper, cookie cutters, etc. at Goodwill; I take stuff I don't use to Goodwill.

A small tree with paper ornaments all cut from white paper is very pretty.

And just look for craft ideas online.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    The parking lot where I work is surrounded by trees. I filled a bag with pine cones. It didn't cost me a cent.

I would agree with Donna-50 .I have acquired the vast majority of my decorations at the after Christmas sales. I always go the day after Christmas and get a few treasures. Be warned the day after is not for the faint at heart those girls can be brutal .
    Papa_Christmas

'I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future!' Scrooge repeated, as he scrambled out of bed. 'The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. Oh, Jacob Marley! Heaven, and the Christmas Time be praised for this! I say it on my knees, old Jacob, on my knees!' (Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol)

Quote Originally Posted by JollyElfDC View Post
    The parking lot where I work is surrounded by trees. I filled a bag with pine cones. It didn't cost me a cent.
    That reminds me of the time I filled our personal pillowcases with huge pine cones while traveling in South Carolina! The cones were about 8-10 inches long; they may have been from longleaf pine trees.
    Last edited by Merry Christmas Darling; 12-08-2009 at 01:01 AM.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow World View Post
    That reminds me of the time I filled our personal pillowcases with huge pine cones while traveling in South Carolina! The cones were about 8-10 inches long; they may have been from longleaf pine trees.
    I know the kind you mean. My mother had us pick them up one summer. We lived in Calgary, so you could get some huge pine cones on the ground near the huge evergreens out near the mountains. I think she still puts them out every year. The grand kids may have gotten new ones for her by now.

I will recycle all the christmas decors i've used last year. But i will put a different twist for it to look a little different from last year.
    Ideas for Christmas: http://ideasforchristmas.net

Another way to save money on Christmas decorations is to make your own! This blog had a few great do-it-yourself Christmas projects. Here is one for a snowman:

Paint Ideas Blog - Jingle Snowman

Let me know if this helps!

Kate