Thread: Needed recipes that I can prepare in advance

Needed recipes that I can prepare in advance

On Christmas eve we're having people over. The entire party will contain 8 people. Since I will be busy on the 24th in the day and I want to entertain my guests when they arrive I am searching for a main course(going to do 4 courses) that I can prepare in advance that will still taste good. I do have some difficulties:

- I don't want to do a filled turkey or chicken, because I am a vegetarian myself and don't like to look at people eating meat that has shape or bones. Other meat(I will make a vega version of the dish for myself) is fine.
    - I have an oven, but it is not huge.
    - I only have 4 pits on my stove
    - It does not have to be traditional Christmassy, but I would like it if it is a recipe that is a bit special.

I am a reasonable cook, so it is no problem if it is a bit difficult.

Thanks!

No options?

just seeing this now and goodness, I am at a loss. I wish I could help you out, but I just can't think of anything. I know there's gotta be some good recipes out there. I hope it works out for you.

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    Do you have the other courses planned, or are you looking for a main dish and planning the other courses around it? What kinds of foods do your guests like to eat? One idea I've thought about doing that would be Christmassy in a very different way, (I'm thinking outside the Christmas box) is to make a middle eastern meal. That is the type of food Mary and Joseph would have eaten. You could start out with hummus and maybe serve stuffed grape leaves as a main dish, and maybe some kind of desert with honey. That is just a suggestion. If you have to deal with pickey eaters it probably wouldn't go over well. I always try and get a feel for peoples likes and dislikes before I cook for them.

Thank you so much, that sounds like a valid option(and I absolutely love hummus.) I think I personally would love a meal like that and most of the people coming are pretty adventurous eaters. I just have to check with my brother and boyfriend what they think, because they are picky.

I was planning to do a courses meal.

@steph535, I think it is pretty difficult myself. I cook a lot and pretty good(most of the time anyway) but I find it hard to think of anything.

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    I'm glad you like the suggestion. I know how hard it can be to cook for a group with different tastes and diets.

I like that suggestion too! Nothing wrong with mixing it up a little instead of eating the same thing year in and year out. Although, I hope my mom is making her usual paella. That is something I only eat when she makes it (and that's about once a year!).

My Christmas Blogs:
    - My most popular Christmas blog: KrisKringleForSingles dot blogspot dot com
    -
    HolidaySingleGirldot blogspot dot com
    -
    SilverandGoldChristmas dot blogspot dot com