Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tinsel a.k.a lametta a.k.a angel hair

Tinsel a.k.a lametta a.k.a angel hair

Do you use it? I love the look of it, but can't seem to figure how to properly place it for the life of me. How much do you use? How do you place it - where on the branch, how dense...? Any tips (and pics) are welcome. Thnx!

Quote Originally Posted by m4816k View Post
    Do you use it? I love the look of it, but can't seem to figure how to properly place it for the life of me. How much do you use? How do you place it - where on the branch, how dense...? Any tips (and pics) are welcome. Thnx!
    Are you talking about tinsel that hangs vertically like icicles? I don't use it because it's so lightweight that it won't hang like the tinsel from the fifties. I would prefer glass or tin icicles. I do have glass ones which I sometimes use:

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow World View Post
    Are you talking about tinsel that hangs vertically like icicles?
    That's the one. I also like glass ones like yours, but have this tinsel so would like to use it.

i like it... i think im gonna get one for our tree... hehehe
    Christmas Costumes - http://www.shopcomparecostumes.com/categories/545/Christmas-Costumes.html

I often use the vertical tinsel, also called icicles. I have never heard of lanetta (sp?) so I don't know what that is, and as far as I know, angel hair is nothing like tinsel. I haven't seen angel hair on tree in what seems like forever and I have never used it and wouldn't know how much to put on. I think it was made of fiberglass. Anyway, the tinsel icicles can be very beautiful and it really reflects the lights on the tree, so it adds a lot of sparkle. But, it has to be put on carefully; just a strand or two at a time, so it is time consuming. And, you need to make sure each strand is hanging straight down and not leaning on another branch, etc.. for it to look just right. It also likes to stick to you if you get close and so you end up with strands on the floor. It's sorta like Easter grass in that respect. You don't want to get either stuck in the vacuum. oh, and I also use other types of icicles. I have the less expensive plastic ones that look like glass from a distance that have sparkles on them and they still look great on the tree. And this year I just got a box of glass icicles in varying lengths that I can't wait to use.

My parents used angel hair several times back in the 1960's on their tree. It was very beautiful, but was fiberglass so it actually could cut your fingers! I haven't seen it for sale in 40 years! Tinsel is beautiful, but time consuming and messy. I always used to use it, but stopped when I started using artificial trees.

Maybe angel hair is the wrong term (I thought it was the right one, but English isn't my first language so...), I'm talking about tinsel icicles (lametta is another term for tinsel icicles, an Italian one I believe).

Yup, it seems like I'll have to put it a strand (or two) at a time this year, maybe it turns out better. I always have a natural tree, and the kind we use (I'm from Europe) has larger spacings between branches so tinsel icicles are a great idea as you have room for it. But I still manage to get it wrong

Quote Originally Posted by m4816k View Post
    Maybe angel hair is the wrong term (I thought it was the right one, but English isn't my first language so...), I'm talking about tinsel icicles (lametta is another term for tinsel icicles, an Italian one I believe).

Yup, it seems like I'll have to put it a strand (or two) at a time this year, maybe it turns out better. I always have a natural tree, and the kind we use (I'm from Europe) has larger spacings between branches so tinsel icicles are a great idea as you have room for it. But I still manage to get it wrong
    I love those trees! That's what we had when I was a child, but we can't get them anymore. We have an artificial tree now.

Quote Originally Posted by steph535 View Post
    I often use the vertical tinsel, also called icicles. I have never heard of lanetta (sp?) so I don't know what that is, and as far as I know, angel hair is nothing like tinsel.
    Lametta is what tinsel is called in Europe, I think.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

I'm pretty sure you're talking about this sort of thing:

Which I LOVE the look of - we always had Tinsel Icicles growing up, but at some point my family swore off them. If you have a real tree that you're getting rid of, it's not a big hassle, but using the same artificial tree year after year it gets Too Messy!

"Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!