Thread: A Whole Christmas Dinner advice

A Whole Christmas Dinner advice

Hi there,

it is my boyfriends and my first Christmas together in Ireland and my mum is coming as well for it. Now I haven't really cooked anything big yet. I want to cook a special easy christmas dinner.

With starter, main course and dessert.

Does anyone know what would be the best and easiest thing?

I want the main course to be turkey.

I would really appreciate it if you could help me!

Janine

I'll take a stab at this even though I don't know what is available at the markets in Ireland.

A frozen turkey has to thaw several days in the fridge.

Refrigerator Thawing:

* Thaw breast side up, in unopened wrapper, on a tray in the refrigerator.
    * Allow for at least 1 day of thawing for every 4 pounds of turkey.

Do you have a recipe that you are using? Or do instructions come with your turkey? Here in the United states I always buy Butterball brand. It's very reliable.

Do not stuff your turkey until it's ready to go in the oven and stuff it loosely if you are stuffing it at all.

Serve mashed potatoes and gravy, a favorite green vegetable, and things like cucumber pickles, fresh veggies such as carrot sticks and celery sticks, maybe some canned ripe olives. Pumpkin pie is wonderful! Mincemeat pie is good. Steamed puddings are excellent(although most Americans never make them).

Here in America we like to slice some jellied cranberry sauce from a can; it's served along with the main course. I don't know if we export that.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

Oh, I forgot the starter. I used to serve softened cream cheese rolled in garlic powder and finely chopped nuts (you can form it into a ball or log before rolling) and then you let your guests spread it on crackers. We have a lot of convenience foods here that make our cooking easier than Grandma's. My married daughters serve deviled eggs instead of cheese and crackers, but it takes time to peel all those eggs and I don't like to be bothered when I'm busy with the rest of the meal.
    Last edited by Merry Christmas Darling; 11-23-2009 at 12:54 PM.

Some traditional recipes of Eastern Europe

The stuffing might be used for Turkey also. As for the other stuff -bake apples are really easy ones-maybe will be of some interest. Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ves.html?cat=5

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...es.html?cat=22

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    If you want to keep it simple, a nice cheese tray before dinner as your starter, or you can serve shrimp cocktails at the dinner table.They are very easy to make. I know you have some wonderful salmon in Ireland, so perhaps you could serve some type of salmon as your first course.

Marhsmallowworld pretty much covered the turkey. The only thing I would maybe do different is make my own cranberry sauce. It is very easy to do, and for some reason people are always impressed that you made your own. I don't have a recipe on hand, but I've lived in two countries and I have never seen a bag of fresh or frozen cranberries that didn't have a recipe on it for cranberry sauce. You just have to boil the cranberries with water and sugar. That's my kind of recipe If it's not on the bag just google it. I'm sure you'll find plenty of recipes for it.

I have never made gravy in my life, because I'm afraid I'll screw it up. I like to be able to do as much ahead as possible. If you are concerned about making gravy, I have a recipe for make ahead turkey gravy. I have not made it, but it's gotten very good reviews online. I can post it if you like. I also have a recipe for orange glazed turkey breast. I made that instead of gravy and everybody thought it was fancy. The truth was I made it because I was afraid to make gravy. The ginger and orange made it nice and Christmasy. It was also very easy to make.

I would go with the plum pudding, mince pie or a nice triffle for dessert. If you serve pie also offer up ice cream or whipped cream to serve with it.

Another couple of random tips
    Do as much ahead of time as possible. It's easier on you, and it makes for less stress on the big day.

If somebody offers to bring something, take them up on the offer. It's one less thing for you to do, and most people do want to help out.

If you have a dishwasher, make sure it is empty before you start cooking. Nothing gives me piece of mind like an empty dishwasher. It also makes you look organized when your guests come over if you don't have piles of dirty dishes.

Good Luck!

Hey,
    thanks a mill for that advice. Helps me a lot! I will take that advise and hope I wont screw it up.
    If everything is going well...

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    One more trick I sometimes use. If you have a good bakery, you can always pick up dessert there.

Let us know how it turns out.

Cool thanks a mill. I will let you know how it turned out. I hope it is not a disaster. lol
    Thank god it will be only like 4 people.

Thanks for the tips. My parents asked if I was interested in doing the Christmas dinner... no was the answer hahaha. It looks like so much effort, I'm always really appreciative when people do it for me.

I would suggest BLUE BERRY CHEESECAKE for dessert... Its not somthing that is difficult to make but yet very classy...
    Christmas Costumes - http://www.shopcomparecostumes.com/categories/545/Christmas-Costumes.html