Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pinecones

Pinecones

Do you use pinecones to decorate? I love pinecones!

I'm going to look for my pinecone stocking holders today. I think I know where they're stored.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

Love pinecones. My Mom always used them alot as well. We have a very large pine tree in our yard. Last year it dropped hundreds of pine cones - so many I didnt know what to do with them. This year - not a pinecone in sight on that tree!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

yes,always. I spray it golden or silver and then I decorate them with candles, love different pinecones all together
    When it seems the magic slipped away...
    We find it all again on Christmas Day

*Seeing isn't believing.Believing is seeing.*

:tree:

Quote Originally Posted by *Snowflake* View Post
    yes,always. I spray it golden or silver and then I decorate them with candles, love different pinecones all together
    I spray them golden too and I put them in a plate, in my livingroom.
    I always loved pinecones and I have a closed friend who brings me every season 10-20 of them.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And so, as Tiny Tim observed, "God Bless us!! Everyone!!''
    A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens (1843)

I also like them a lot. I like to pick my own. There is a hill close by with lots of pine trees.

Merry Snowy Christmas
    Love & Peace to the World

My favorite ones are extra large au natural. Then I like the ones with white paint on their tips. But this year I might use gold ones. They have picks for fifty cents at Hobby Lobby.

Julia Walsh | December 7, 2010 11:00 am
    "Whether you display them au naturel in a glass bowl or you paint them with glitter, pine cones are a useful element for dozens of Christmas crafts and Winter decorations. But before you go turning the conical fruits into a tree ornament, your pinecones should be dried to remove them of pitch (their sticky resin residue) and so their layers open up beautifully. Before you dry them, you'll need to clean the cones by picking off pine needles and removing any visible pitch by dabbing them a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol.

"Air-drying. The first method is to air-dry them. Corral them up in a breathable container like a wicker basket or a woven shopping bag. Lay the base of the container with a sheet of paper to collect any debris that might fall. As you might expect, this method is the most time-consuming; it can take anywhere from several hours to a few days.
    Continue reading for two more ways to expedite the drying!

"Baking. Preheat your oven to 250° F. Line a cookie sheet with tin foil, covering it completely. Using gloves (to avoid sticky fingers!), set your pine cones on the pan, making sure they're separated. "Bake" them for an hour, checking occasionally to make sure they don't burn. The pitch should melt off the pine cones' layers. Remove from the foil and let them cool completely on a cooling rack."

http://www.casasugar.com/How-Dry-Pin...tions-12438724

I like them au naturel too with the painted white tips ... but if one doesn't have the time to do so .... a quick blast of aerosol spray snow is quite effective too.

I've also sprayed them gold or silver and they look great. Pine cones are a must have

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    A store by us has pine cones that smell like cinnamon! I take a big whiff as I pass by!!
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Good ideas here. We have tons of pine cones, several different verities, in our yard. They are pretty but sound and shoot out like grenades when mowed. Maybe I'll bring some inside and enjoy them where they are less lethal.

Yes, I love pinecones and my 3 year old daughter has taken to collecting them whenever we're out walking and she spots them laying on the floor :-)

I use 'frosted' pinecones to hang on my tree and have just bought a collection of pine cones from M&S to pop in a bowl on my desk because I think they look so pretty :-)