Thread: Differences

Differences

Hello! I'm from Poland, and I just wanted to ask...

Tell me something about differences in christmas traditions between American and British? I need it to small project for school

Use your home languages, (gangsta slang xD). Write sth about dishes, songs, traditons. Just tell me how do u spend your Xmas in Britain or USA :D

In my family in the state of West Virginia in the USA we trim our tree the week after the holiday of Thanksgiving which is the fourth Thursday in November. We leave the tree up until after the feast of the Three Kings in January. We display a Nativity scene on the sideboard in our dining room. We decorate many other parts of our house with ornaments, Santa figurines and greenery. We go to church on Christmas eve and sing Silent Night, O, Come All Ye Faithful, Away in the Manger and many others. After church we open gifts with our immediate family. On Christmas day our extended family gathers at our house. We open gifts then we have Christmas dinner. This usually consists of turkey, either roasted or fried, turkey gravy, dressing made by mixing bread cubes,onion,mushrooms sage, wine and butter and baking it; mashed sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, pumpkin pie and chocolate yule log. Sometimes we go for a walk in the neighborhood or just sit and talk. Then everyone goes home after a lovely day together.

Thank you very much, that was very useful ;D

PS. First time in Poland we had snow before xmas coca cola spot in TV ;P

I'm sorry. I didn't see this till now. Maybe it's too late. Most Americans have roast turkey for dinner on Christmas Day, but I don't like to roast a turkey. I used to roast beef. Now, I'm a grandmother to many grandchildren. We have our children, their spouses, and our grandchildren over on Christmas night. I light the Advent candles. I serve raw vegetables, fresh fruit that is cut up, cocktail wieners in a sauce, bread or rolls, cake and cookies, non-alcoholic punch and coffee. Our house is small and we don't have room for a large table to seat everyone. So we eat in the living room. After we eat, everyone opens their gifts. I would love to include singing in our tradition but we don't have pleasant voices. :(

My nativity scene is on an armoire that houses our television. It's up high, but I also have one that the children can play with on the floor (Playmobil).
    Last edited by Merry Christmas Darling; 11-14-2009 at 01:33 PM.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

anthropologicalchristmas Guest
    Hi Sciemniak

I may also be too late - if so, how did your project go?

I am from the UK. Traditionally British people eat Turkey for Christmas dinner. Before Queen Victoria's reign, goose was the more popular dish though. Christmas is celebrated on 25th December, and our presents given then.

We observe Christmas quite traditionally in my family, but we do not attend church. However, in recent years I spend Christmas Eve with my father, and we observe a Germanic version of Christmas, opening our presents and having our feast then. We also eat Nut Roast on this occassion, as my father is vegetarian!

Another main difference is we refer to Father Christmas instead of Santa Claus.

Scotland traditionally observed Christmas quite quietly due to the lack of emphasis placed on the festival by the Church of Scotland, a Presbyterian Church. The celebration of Hogmanay (New Years) was a far larger event. This has changed rapidly since the 1980s and now the two festivals are on a par.

Would you be happy to tell me how you celebrate Christmas?