Thread: Finding my wife the perfect present

:gift: Finding my wife the perfect present

So, when my wife writes it's like she releases all emotion into the writing and just keeps me wanting more. ut the thing is she doesnt like to write because she feels embarassed like ppl will make fun of her or will not like her writing..so what i was thinking was getting something for her that would help her bring confidence into writing more.. i dont know what else to write other then to ask if someone could help me with helping me a perfect gift

What is she afraid of, specifically? Is she afraid that people are going to laugh at her storylines or is she poor at basic writing? Knowing what her weaknesses are helps to identify where she needs help and what she needs.

If her command of the written language is good but possibly her writing style is stiff, then I suggest she do some online or night-time community college creative writing courses. She needs group support and exposure to other budding writers and lots of guided practice to improve her written voice. Books on writing don't put the fire on creativity's 'bottom', so to speak.

If her writing reveals poor punctuation, grammar and sentence structure, then she needs to go back to school. See above, but a course or two geared toward improving writing skills.

She's afraid that everybody will laugh at her writing. she's very self conscious about what people may think about her writing. like i said when she writes she lets mit all out, it keeps me on the edge and i just want more of it. Her grammar, punctuation are to me damn near perfect. unlike myself i hate writing lol
    My wife is more into letting her feelings out in writing. yet she doesnt want to write because she doesnt want anybody to see it. she's been through alot and she has alot to say and give but its like she doesnt know how to let it out,unless its in her writing. .. idkkkkk

It's possible she's not interested in making her writing public, even if it's excellent. She might be the type of artist that prefers to create only for herself because she uses writing as a personal outlet for her feelings. Sometimes there's more pleasure gained in the process than in the product.

If she's the one voicing that she wants her writing to be public yet holds back over fears that people will laugh at her work, then she needs to challenge her fears. Maybe you could create a writing blog website for her so she can post anonymously under a pseudo-identity.

I'm a member of Writing.com....They will help you out and they don't laugh. Send here there, membership is free. And there is a shop on there that you can visit and get some gift ideas for Christmas.

Just a thought...they can help her out and build her confidence.

amyboyce Guest
    A great book to get her might be "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron. It's a really great program to help artists, writers, etc. overcome their blocks and fears and move past them to create work. It might be just what your wife needs as a sort of boost.

I think that a gift that shows her how much you believe in her is such a sweet idea!

:gift:

Quote Originally Posted by dustin1788 View Post
    So, when my wife writes it's like she releases all emotion into the writing and just keeps me wanting more. ut the thing is she doesnt like to write because she feels embarassed like ppl will make fun of her or will not like her writing..so what i was thinking was getting something for her that would help her bring confidence into writing more.. i dont know what else to write other then to ask if someone could help me with helping me a perfect gift
    tell your wife that nobody is perfect.. and maybe you should give her a book about "positive thinking.." it's really helpful and I too have experienced what your wife is feeling.. I also would like to suggest to give her this video I found in you tube for relaxation purposes before she writes..

the title is "puppies and kittens dvd" in you tube..

I'd get her a lovely journal. A leather-bound, quality note book or diary for her to write privately. If she feels relief at writing for own sake, but doesn't want it published then a private journal to write whatever she'd like would be the perfect gift.

If I was in your shoes I think I might take the suggestion about a "Creative Writing" Class at the local Community College. But I would do it with her, make it a 'Couple' thing -- a time once a week or a couple times a month for you to both go out and take the class. It will display to her that you care about her writing and want to experience it all at her side. Maybe you doing it with her will give her the support to not be afraid of any possible criticisms.

As Husbands and Boyfriends, sometimes we have to take one on the chin and do things that we may not be all that interested in because our significant other has great interest in it. Also, we always have to note that your writing may be terrible and will make hers look better maybe boosting her confidence some.

My Girlfriend enjoys pottery, we both took a class on it a couple years ago. She was actually very good at it where as me-- I was atrocious. Everything I made looked like some kind of ashtray that caught on fire and someone put it out with a hammer. My Girlfriend really liked the class and LOVED giving me tips on how to better my pottery prowess. It was a fun activity that we shared.
    "I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys." ~Charles Dickens