Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Thanksgiving food!

I am from Japan now reside in USA and this will be my first Thanksgiving to stay with a foreign family. What am I to expect? Is this Christian holiday like Christmas or is it about pilgrims so they say? It is a big culture shock for me.

But I hear they cook yummy food and eat a lot =D I love american food.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukari View Post
    I am from Japan now reside in USA and this will be my first Thanksgiving to stay with a foreign family. What am I to expect? Is this Christian holiday like Christmas or is it about pilgrims so they say? It is a big culture shock for me.

But I hear they cook yummy food and eat a lot =D I love american food.
    you can expect some good food, for one. The main dish, typically, is roast turkey, along with at least a couple side dishes. The types of food varies from region to region and from family to family. I am from an English/German/Irish/Scottish background and I have the same Thanksgiving meal that I was brought up with, which is roast turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, or yams, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cranberry sauce, rolls, and at least pumpkin pie. Sometimes, there is pecan and apple pie, as well

Thanksgiving is only like Christmas in that there is delicious food for dinner and it is supposed to be a a day of thanking God for His many blessings. Unfortunately, in the past few decades, because of political correctness and other things, God is being left out of it, to some extent. In my childrens' public schools, for instance, it is said to be a day of thanksgiving, but thanks to various people in one's life. God is not said to be a part of it, because of the separation of church and State.

Thanksgiving came about because when people first came here from Europe, their first Winter or two were extremely harsh and many people died, because it was bitter cold and because they did not have food, etc... The Indians taught the pilgrims (the early settlers) about corn and other things so they could eat. The pilgrims and the Indians sat down and had a meal together and thanks was given to God for blessing them with these good things. And, of course, the pilgrims thanked the Indians, too, because of their great help.

So, this is why you hear talk about and may see figurines, pictures, etc.. of pilgrims that are associated with Thanksgiving. I hope this helps.

Hi Yukari

Welcome to the forum and the USA.

Steph summed it up pretty well, mostly it's about being thankful for what we have and spending time with family and friends.

Hope your first Thanksgiving is one to remember
    Papa_Christmas

'I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future!' Scrooge repeated, as he scrambled out of bed. 'The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. Oh, Jacob Marley! Heaven, and the Christmas Time be praised for this! I say it on my knees, old Jacob, on my knees!' (Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol)

takes a lot of planning, I have a HUGE grocery list. Often I have to visit more than 1 store to find everything

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    I've spent alotm of time the last few days making food shopping and to-do lists for Thanksgiving! I really like to be organized, but I also enjoy the planning process!

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    My mom's homemade stuffing. Everything else I will have at other times during the year. However, that stuffing only gets made for Thanksgiving.

Stuffing is the thing!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    yes it is.

I am with you my friends.I buy the biggest turkey I can find and cram it full of my moms bread
    stuffing.Herb seasoned bread cubes,Turkey Giblets,lots of butter, celery and onion chopped fresh sage and giblet broth.MMMMMMMMMM I can't wait
    Papa_Christmas

'I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future!' Scrooge repeated, as he scrambled out of bed. 'The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. Oh, Jacob Marley! Heaven, and the Christmas Time be praised for this! I say it on my knees, old Jacob, on my knees!' (Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol)

Sounds like my gravy only I don't use giblets anymore.
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

I stuff myself with stuffing