Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I have a secret :)

Quote Originally Posted by Fezziwig View Post
    pawning them off at a later date.
    I'm not "pawning them off," though.

I guess my point has been missed by many.

Well, I guess you are giving them at a later date but presumably the grandparents, aunts, and uncles are sending more gifts for those special occasions also, aren't they? So I don't really understand putting them to the side unless you're giving them as 'Just Because' gifts through out the year.

I don't know, I guess I just don't agree.
    "I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys." ~Charles Dickens

Quote Originally Posted by Fezziwig View Post
    Well, I guess you are giving them at a later date but presumably the grandparents, aunts, and uncles are sending more gifts for those special occasions also, aren't they?
    Yes, they are, but this way my husband and I don't have to spend loads of our money also on gifts for SD--gifts from us and all of the "Santa" gifts can really add up.

Like I said, we're low-income people; we're not over poverty line by all that much; we can't afford to buy gifts for SD from us AND from Santa. If I didn't do what I do, she would have to learn the truth about Santa real quick, and the hard way--when he doesn't leave any more presents under the tree.

This way she still has presents to open on Christmas morning, rather than having to wait until her grandma and aunt show up.

But if that makes me cruel, then I guess cruel I am.

Amy, I don't think you are being cruel at all. When you first posted this thread, I had thought that your SD was a teen for some reason. You never said she was, but I assumed it. (Wrong on my part.) So, when you said she just opened present after present, and didn't say thank you or anything, I had this picture in my mind of a young teen with 'issues,' shall we say. So, I'm really glad that someone asked how old she was and you explained she's only 6. It sounds to me like you are doing the best job you can with the circumstances that you have. You are trying to consider everyone. You want and need to keep the peace with your SD's grandmother and aunt,you still make sure she still gets plenty of gifts, AND keep your SD's belief in Santa alive as long as possible. It sounds like her grandma and aunt, even though very generous, can be very difficult to deal with. I wonder why they feel the need to give her so much each Christmas? You say that it takes 3 hours for her to open all her gifts. To me, that seems to say it is more than just plain generosity. but, maybe I'm wrong. Now, from the grandmother and aunt's standpoint, if it were me giving the gifts, I would want them to go to your SD, but then again, I would be reasonable and accepting of your viewpoint. In my opinion, if these people would never speak to you again if you asked them to not give quite so much and explained why, than so be it. But, I know that is easier said than done.

I think that is so smart. Especially since time are tuff for people right now. You will always have the gifts to give.
    Need the perfect Christmas present? I know of something that is just perfect! It is affordable (under $15), personable and everyone will love it. Want to know what it is? Shoot me PM and I will let you know!!

Actually...I'm not sure I like this. Seems a bit sneaky.

Quote Originally Posted by MerryMary View Post
    Actually...I'm not sure I like this. Seems a bit sneaky.
    Santa Claus himself is sneaky. That's kind of a key part of Santa's being...

Hey!
    Personally, I think that if you and your husband agree, then this is a great way to go! I have nephews and a neice with the same situation, and I know I felt hurt when they hurtled through their presents and didn't give a toss who gave it to them, or what it was! Especially as my mother and I had spent ages trying to find something perfect for them, bearing in mind that we had no money! Luckily, one of them turned out fine, but the other two never got over the greed. So, I think what you're doing is a great idea...wish we'd thought of it! And if you can keep the idea of Santa alive for longer, fantastic! There is nothing more heartbreaking than finding out the truth about him...I remember the feeling twenty years down the line!! Good luck with the secret! P.S. tho...don't let your stepdaughter EVER read this forum!!

wow, that caught me offguard. heheh.. that will surely make her sad if she'll find out.
    Christmas Costumes - http://www.shopcomparecostumes.com/categories/545/Christmas-Costumes.html

TextSanta.net Guest
    uh thats not cool at all.