Thread: Shortbread Cookies

Shortbread Cookies

I just made these tasty treats over the weekend. I usually make them around the holidays with decorative holiday sprinkles. I guess I got in the fall baking mood due to the weather I used fall/halloween cookie cutters. I only had black sprinkles. I need to get orange and brown ones as well. This is Martha Stewart's recipe. She recommends making the icing with food coloring. Might be a good idea if I used orange coloring with black sprinkles. I put the leftover dough in the freezer (at least 3 batches left), so I'll try this out next time.

Here's the recipe:

Makes 4 dozen cookies
    These cookies should be very pale in color

3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup cornstarch
    Royal Icing (see below)

Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Stir in the vanilla.
    Sift together the flour and cornstarch. Stir thoroughly into the creamed mixture. Place the dough on a sheet of plastic wrap and form the dough into a flat disk. Wrap the dough and chill it for at least 2 hours.
    Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and cut out shapes with a cookie cutter. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes (I had to bake it at least 25 minutes for some reason). Remove from the baking sheets and cool on racks. Decorate with Royal Icing.

Royal Icing:
    1 cup confectioner's sugar
    1 egg white (use dried egg whites if you're concerned about safety)
    3 or 4 drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice
    Food coloring

Mix the sugar, egg white, and lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth and creamy. It should have the consistency of heavy cream (add more sugar if necessary). Add desired food coloring.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Christmas Blogs:
    - My most popular Christmas blog: KrisKringleForSingles dot blogspot dot com
    -
    HolidaySingleGirldot blogspot dot com
    -
    SilverandGoldChristmas dot blogspot dot com

This is great! I've been looking for a simple cookie receipe to use so I can teach my neice how to bake :D

I made them again and this time for the royal icing, instead of egg whites, I used milk (with a dash of vanilla extract). Although the shell didn't harden as nicely as with the egg white, it still tasted pretty good. Just refrigerate the cookies for a couple of hours before eating.

Also, with the next batch, I think I'll use one less stick of butter!

My Christmas Blogs:
    -
    -

I also bought orange icing (I couldn't find orange food coloring) and I have chocolate sprinkles - they will make good Halloween cookies!

My Christmas Blogs:
    -
    -

Quote Originally Posted by KrisKringleforSingles View Post
    I made them again and this time for the royal icing, instead of egg whites, I used milk (with a dash of vanilla extract). Although the shell didn't harden as nicely as with the egg white, it still tasted pretty good. Just refrigerate the cookies for a couple of hours before eating.

Also, with the next batch, I think I'll use one less stick of butter!
    They sound really yummy!!

I wasn't crazy about the orange icing from Betty Crocker. It tasted way too sweet. I can't seem to find orange food coloring. Maybe I should mix red and yellow - does that make orange?

My Christmas Blogs:
    -
    -

Also, the orange icing didn't spread as well as the homemade icing. The cookies kept breaking.

My Christmas Blogs:
    -
    -

I love the sound of your shortbread cookies. I'm drooling just thinking about them. I guess I'll have to try making some or I'll be thinking about them all the time. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
    Merry Christmas to all - for all the year round. http://www.myvintagechristmasdecorations.net