Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traditions -- when opening gifts

We have our own Christmas at home and every year that we have been married (10 years on Dec 7th) we get presents from Santa on Christmas! (I buy them during lunch when at work and sneak them home and wrap them) - when my wife in the bathroom getting ready for bed on Christmas Eve, I sneak them under the tree and then we wake up to Santa presents! We have no kids and we're 'older' so this keeps Christmas fun - why can't older folks enjoy Santa too?
    http://XmasDVD.com - Watch Christmas clips, movies, commercials, cartoons and more, online all year long!

:santa:

That's so nice and there's nothing wrong with that it's the spirit that's in your heart as we are in our forties and have a grown son but,we still make christmas special.I'm so glad there is someone else out there like us as everyone should have in their hearts as it's about the spirit and like you i'm not ashamed to say i believe.

We open eachgift one by one and takethe time to appreciate what each person got and to thank the person who gave it to them. We really try to draw out the present opening.

We have a casual morning as we have our coffee and sit by the tree and we go through the stockings and talk and then we do gifts a little at a time as we talk about the things we just opened it's a relaxing morning just enjoying being together.

As a kid we opened one gift Christmas eve that was from my grandmother who lived out of town.

But it's been years since that tradition. Now DH and I wait until Christmas morning to open gifts. This is our first holiday with our son, so maybe we'll start another tradition.

It is nice to start new traditions there's nothing wrong with that,it's great just being together and making those special memories that you'll always have to remember.

:tree:

We have a different tradition...we celebrate Christmas on Christms Eve. The first gift everyone gets when they arrive is a new pair of pajamas that I make; all the girls match and so do the boys, with a new pair of slippers. Everyone puts on PJ's, we light a fire in the fireplace and some candles, I'd prepare a special dinner, turn on Christmas music and we'd open our gifts. It is so beautiful to experience it at night. And, Christmas morning is spent with a nice, relaxing brunch where we all eat alot; and everyone plays with their new toys.

Since our daugher is now married with two little boys (and she also visits my son in laws family), we find that doing it this way is so much more relaxing and enjoyable for all. Our kids have plenty of time to spend with each family, and they have time for their own Christmas at home. Before our grandchildren were born (and since we are 3,000 miles away from New York), we'd exchange a small gift, and fly to Vegas Christmas Day (we booked way in advance for great deals). We'd have a nice dinner when we arrived, see a show and spend a few days there before the New Years crowd came (alot of fun..but I missed seeing my home decorated!)
    Last edited by Ellie; 10-09-2009 at 06:49 AM.

When the kids were growing up we always did gifts on Christmas eve, but now the men work shift work. It becomes hard to correlate schedules. Also need to consider that their in-laws like Christmas eve just as well. It does fustrate a little but I have to remember Christmas is not about which DAY - but the reason for the day and be thankful we can meet together this year again.

Gail