Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fourth of July decorations

I just put a few things on the porch. And this year I'm making a watermelon basket which I've done some years. It has patriotic carving(stars and banners).

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!
    Last edited by Merry Christmas Darling; 07-03-2009 at 10:14 PM.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    That watermelon idea sounds neat.

I left for work today and realized I still hadn't put the bow on the door. (Homer Simpson voice) D-OH!

Quote Originally Posted by JollyElfDC View Post
    That watermelon idea sounds neat.

I left for work today and realized I still hadn't put the bow on the door. (Homer Simpson voice) D-OH!
    Don't feel bad! I forgot to decorate the porch until I saw this thread. I put up a windsock and a white pitcher of silk flowers(red, white, & blue).

I put out our flag and "swagged" our 2 strings of red, white and blue lights on the back porch yesterday with my son. Not much, but it'll be something for us to enjoy today. :D
    PumpkinJack81
    Bob, Forum Moderator
    AllThingsChristmas.com

You guys inspired me to decorate for the 4th this year! I didn't have much, but the few things I did have brightened things up (some flags and sprays). I'm glad I did it. I went looking to buy some more decorations, but I couldn't find any that I liked. Right now I'm listening to a patriotic song list that I created (Yankee Doodle Dandy by James Cagney is on now).

One of my favorite things to do for this holiday is to go to an outdoor concert put on by the Hartford Symphony Orchestra. You sit on blankets and chairs out in an open pretty area and listen to the patriotic music and then they set off fireworks to music. It's relaxing and beautiful. We've had such bad thunderstorms this past week, almost every day, that I didn't go this year, because there's no place to get away from the lightening. It ended up being beautiful, so I'm sorry I missed it.
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Angeldog View Post
    I have a wreath, a swag and a large bow in red, white and blue that I hang over my door on my lamp post and on the gazebo in the back. We often ave a cookout with friends and family. After dark, we go to the banks of the river that runs through our town and watch fireworks. Mainly we relax and enjoy the summer weather
    That sounds nice. I like the idea of going to the river, but aren't you eaten alive by mosquitos??
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

I cheated and only put one banner in each spot; there's supposed to be another one beneath it, but I wanted to speed things up!

The pattern for this can be bought here:

http://www.yankeeharvest.com/pumpkin/wmelon.html

Pumpkin Masters Watermelon Carving Kit
    Stock# PMWTCK $6.95

I didn't remember where I put my carving kit, so I used a boning knife.

Serve with poppy seed dressing or Brianna's Blush Wine Vinaigrette.

That's creative Marshmallow World. It came out nice. I carve pumpkins for Hallowe'en, but never think to do something like that for another holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow World View Post

I cheated and only put one banner in each spot; there's supposed to be another one beneath it, but I wanted to speed things up!

The pattern for this can be bought here:

http://www.yankeeharvest.com/pumpkin/wmelon.html

Pumpkin Masters Watermelon Carving Kit
    Stock# PMWTCK $6.95

I didn't remember where I put my carving kit, so I used a boning knife.

Serve with poppy seed dressing or Brianna's Blush Wine Vinaigrette.
    Linda, I love it! Thanks for sharing and inspiring us! :D
    PumpkinJack81
    Bob, Forum Moderator
    AllThingsChristmas.com

I'm glad you all like it! I know it isn't perfect, but one can always hope for improvement or more time to work on it the following year.